Wife cannot do this..

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Wife cannot do this..

Postby falconbrother » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:51 am

Some years ago we, my wife and I, were vegetarians. I very much liked it, as we both did. Not sure how good it was for my blood work, but that's another story. After a year or so my wife had a doctor's appointment and told the doctor that we were vegetarians. Due to my wife being an organ transplant patient the doctor told her that she had to eat some meat from time to time for complete nutrition. That ship has sailed and I'm not going to argue vegan vs. omnivore. I have been vegan for about a month now and it's really been no issue. But, I know that for restaurant choices and such moving forward it might make my life difficult. My wife still prefers not to eat much meat. I will say that I feel so much better as a vegan, starch eater. I sleep better, have more energy, etc.. I'm lovin it! My plan, as it stands, is to be flexitarian, although so far I have eaten consistent with a vegan lifestyle.

Moving forward I definitely don't want to create grief for my wife. She has enough to worry about. Good thing she prefers veggies, tofu, etc.. My plan is to just let each day worry about it's self. Shop like a vegan. If she ask for things that are not vegan I will buy them for her and not make it a thing.
falconbrother

Re: Wife cannot do this..

Postby viv » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Congratulations on your vegan lifestyle. How will it create grief for your wife? You say she likes veggies, so you can make some delicious vegan meals and she can add whatever she likes. It's a pity her doctor gave her such terrible advice. Restaurants now have many choices for vegans. I like Panera, my favorite is the Greek salad with no feta and their black bean soup with a piece of baguette on the side, delicious. Just make sure you eat enough starch, e.g. potatoes, rice, corn, beans etc. The McDougall diet is based on starch with the addition of fruits and veggies and no oil.

Good luck!
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:01 pm

Thankfully we don't have to divorce our spouses in order to be completely McDougall compliant. :)

My husband eats a ridiculous amount of meat. I eat none. We share some of the side dishes, or we don't. Over time he has started eating a little more like me, but it's not required. I'm glad to hear you are supporting each other and respecting your different choices.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby EvanG » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:54 am

viv wrote:Congratulations on your vegan lifestyle. How will it create grief for your wife? You say she likes veggies, so you can make some delicious vegan meals and she can add whatever she likes....
Viv

This is basically how we do it. A few frozen meatballs or ham slices tossed in the microwave here or there may satisfy a meat craving spouse.
-----
Started in June 2012 at 39
Lost 25 lbs. Feel great.
EvanG

Return to Family and Children