Stress- what will it do to us?

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Stress- what will it do to us?

Postby jamie bark » Tue May 30, 2017 8:45 pm

I'll try to be brief :) I've been WFPB for almost 2.5 years. Lost almost 100 pounds. Exercise regularly. Get decent sleep. Take time to breathe and occasionally do a few yoga moves. I have an 8 yr old daughter with Muscular Dystrophy, a 12 yr old daughter that's healthy but getting busy in her own world, and a wife that was diagnosed with MS 3 years ago. I also own my own business (no employees- I work out of a service van). My question is this... I feel as though I'm doing the best I can do. Really trying hard to deal with the stress, yet I can't do anything about what is causing the stress... What can I expect to be the outcome? How will this affect me as I age (almost 46)? Is there something else I should be doing???

We don't have much support from family or friends. I'm trying to get my wife excited about a plant based life, but she's really struggled with fatigue and stiffness/ depression/ falling more often all the time so she doesn't have the energy to try very hard. She eats what I make for her... Any resources? Any studies on stress and plant based people? I'm only one man and I feel like I'm running out of gas.
jamie bark

Re: Stress- what will it do to us?

Postby jamie bark » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm asking here because I can't find any information anywhere else. Hoping someone will have some insight. I had been on a couple different anti-anxiety meds, but didn't like how I felt on them. I also have to wonder if being on some of these medications could be detrimental to my health long term...
jamie bark

Postby anne57 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby jamie bark » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Another thing to add... I have come down with two health conditions since becoming WFPB as well. Reynaulds Syndrome and Alopecia. Not sure if they are stress related or hereditary, but I have a neice with Alopecia and a brother with the other...
jamie bark

Postby jamietwo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:26 pm

I don't know that stress has been proven to cause health issues, but I think it contributes. We're always going to have stress - its how we deal with it that counts. You are doing a lot of right things! That's great that you eat healthy, get enough sleep and do yoga!

You mentioned not having support. Can you find a support group for families of people with MD or MS in your community? Or even on-line if there's nothing available where you live? Sometimes just hearing how someone else handles a tough situation can help.

Good luck!
Jamie
jamietwo

Return to Family and Children