Juvenile arthritis..low iron

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Juvenile arthritis..low iron

Postby Katiemarie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Hoping Dr. McDougall could give me some advice. My teenage daughter has arthritis and is following starch solution to a T and thriving, completely in remission only problem is her iron levels are low. They are in the low 30's. She has blood work done every 6 months to keep tabs on her SED rate. Her SED rate is normal but now the doc wants her to take an iron supplement.. She eats lots of beans, veggies and greens. I don't mind giving her iron supplement, though not sure why she is low. Is this an issue with people who have arthritis in general?. I looked for an iron supplement just couldn't find one without artifical ingredients. Any recommendations on a good iron supplement. One with no white sugar as sugar flares her up.
Thanks,
Katiemarie

Re: Juvenile arthritis..low iron

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:37 am

I asked for advice about iron recently in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54872&p=557331#p557331

If I'm remembering correctly, hematocrit levels are recommended to be 36+, so she's really not too far off. I've always been on the low side, and so has my dad, who eats meat.

If you check out blackstrap molasses, be sure to read the label. I've seen some as low as 4% iron. The Simply Balanced Organic Blackstrap Molasses at Target is 20% iron per 1 tablespoon. I like it on top of oatmeal with sliced bananas. If would probably be tasty in mashed sweet potatoes or baked beans as well.

Supplements are generally not recommended unless medically advised, as I'm sure you know. Floradix is the one I've most frequently heard. I took Hemaplex when pregnant because my levels were too low for safe home birth and it was specifically advised by my midwife. It brought my numbers up dramatically in just two weeks, but I'm not sure if I would take it again without trying to just adjust diet first.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Family and Children