Sugar levels during pregnancy

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sugar levels during pregnancy

Postby Gessell » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Hello!
I am 18 weeks along with my 3rd child. I have had high blood sugar/mild gestational diabetes with all three pregnancies, but have monitored it with a finger pricker and whole food diet and had healthy babies and deliveries. No sign of diabetes when I am not pregnant, but I do think I have some hypoglycemia/insulin resistance going on.

In the past two pregnancies, my fasting levels would raise suddenly around week 30 (from 80 to 95-110) and despite my best efforts to control it through diet, nothing would change these levels, although I could keep my day time levels very normal by eating a whole foods very low carb diet. However, if I ate carbs (especially grain) etc during the day my post meal numbers would get to 160-180.

This pregnancy, my fasting levels are already 95-100. I came across the starch solution and decided I'd try it, as the low carb is miserable during pregnancy and didn't help fasting levels anyway. After only one day my fasting levels went from 100 to 80. However, if I eat grain or potatos (mostly white, sweet potatos aren't as bad, and fruit has little effect) my after meal levels will stay in the 160-170 range for as long as three hours.

So my question is this: 1) If I continue with this will my daytime numbers start to lower and regulate? And how long does this typically take, if so? 2) is it better to have low fasting but high daytime or high fasting and low daytime?

Normally I'd just stick with and and see what happens, but being pregnant feel like I should get too experimental without some feedback :-)
Gessell
Gessell

Gessell

Return to Family and Children