Diet Restriction

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Diet Restriction

Postby KensCircus » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:38 am

Rumor has it, among members of my family, that I restrict my diet more than necessary, and that I could eat what they eat, if I just would. In response, I would like to express that I AM NOT DEPRIVED!! Far from it!! In fact, I eat ANYTHING I WANT. It just happens that I love low-fat whole starch based foods and I do not like anything fatty or animal sourced.

I love and crave the foods I eat – that is why I eat them. The foods I do not eat is because I don’t like the taste or their effects. … Likewise, I do not eat or like the taste of sewage.

To be honest, however, in some respects, I am deprived. I am deprived of the effects of the foods they eat: I am deprived of cardiovascular disease – even though I possess the genes that promote it. I am deprived of gastric diseases. I am deprived of arthritis, joint degeneration, pain, and inflammation – even though I inherited the genes for those traits. I am deprived of tiredness, macular degeneration, cataracts and premature aging. I am deprived of the need for prescription drugs. I am deprived of any diabetic conditions – even as a Type-1 diabetic.

It is interesting, however, that those who believe that I deprive myself of the foods they eat – they equally deprived themselves of the foods that I eat.
Nothing in life is more inhibiting or debilitating than the belief; “I Can’t.”
Nothing in life is more freeing, enabling or successful than the belief; “I Can.”
KensCircus

Re: Diet Restriction

Postby judynew » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:06 pm

Ken, I really like your attitude.

My family members also have doubts about my way of eating. I'm pretty sure some of them think I'm off my rocker :lol: Yet I am watching them struggling with chronic disease, starting in their thirties, and with long and miserable deaths by the time they reach my age. As of this summer, I am the oldest surviving member of my family at only 67. I have no chronic conditions and therefore no treatments or medical appointments. My body is pain free and I have walked almost 1000 miles so far this year which is not much by some people's standards but for my former self would have been unthinkable. Years ago it was painful to walk from my car to the house. My retirement is absolutely wonderful because I am well and can do all the activities for which I now have the time.

And yet, I'm the one who is deprived. Go figure.

Living in hope that they will get a clue.
judynew

Re: Diet Restriction

Postby KensCircus » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:03 am

Judy,
Thanks for the reply and sharing your experience. Very encouraging!
I think the hard, physical proof staring them right in the face (you) is the strongest possible hope. Indeed, my stepson and his family (of 5) has just decided to try a low-fat WFPB lifestyle after noticing the health difference between my wife and me and the rest of the family. There was even a hint of joining us at the 2017 Marshal HealthFest https://healthfest.com/ to hear Dr. McDougall speak. Yes, there is hope!
You go girl!!
Nothing in life is more inhibiting or debilitating than the belief; “I Can’t.”
Nothing in life is more freeing, enabling or successful than the belief; “I Can.”
KensCircus

Return to Family and Children