Candida ?

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Candida ?

Postby Jenell Magrum » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:36 pm

Hi there!
I am fairly new to the McDougall Diet but have been on it now for 3 1/2 months, along with my 3 small children. My husband slowly but surely seems to be seeing the importance of this kind of lifestyle and is coming around! :) My concern that I have been noticing recently with myself and children is the symptoms of a candida overgrowth, can also be referred to as a yeast infection. Really the main symptom I see in them is that they frequently have to itch their private parts. I have also unfortunately noticed a yeasty smelling odor in my vaginal area ( hope this is not TMI :oops: ) I really love this new diet and lifestyle, and have been telling all who will listen to me about it and how I've been able to shed at least 10 pounds since starting this program! This is just one of the very few things I have been concerned about since implementing it. Before starting this program, I and my family had been eating a vegetarian diet that was fairly high in fat and plant protein and lower in carbs b/c we have showed signs of fighting an overgrowth of yeast. We had been told that candida/ yeast loves sugars and carbs, so to try to limit them in our diet ( which would have definitely excluded all the rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, starchier vegetables, beans, Ezekiel bread, and a couple pieces of fruit that we have on a regular basis now). I am very much aware of the importance of other non-starchy vegetables- especially the green ones for all their vitamin and minerals- and we include them in every meal except breakfast usually. We are also almost always fighting Stapholococus ( don't know if that's the correct spelling); not the kind that usually shows up on the skin only, but the kind that effects the digestive tract and makes going to the bathroom not a very enjoyable experience :-( I would love to hear some suggestions on how to stick to this program but yet still fight these conditions. I thought it was impossible to get rid of candida issues with a high carb diet :( Any help would be greatly appreciated- thanks! :)
Jenell Magrum

Re: Candida ?

Postby mapat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:20 am

mapat

Postby Strawberry60 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:49 am

Speaking from personal experience of many years of suffering the miseries of candida. I found that I was intolerant to wheat, so it may be worth looking at the grains you eat regularly to see if it could be one of these causing the problem. Removal of wheat resulted in a very quick improvement for me.
I also had to completely eliminate all fruit, but could tolerate pears after a while.
Also as far as the tummy issues go maybe you are eating some unwashed salad or something that is contaminated. When I worked in a green grocers shop I realised just how much people handled the food and how contaminated it got. I am sure you have excellent hygiene but maybe you need to be extra vigilant about your fruit and veggies.
Hope this clears up for you and your family.
Will it matter in 10 minutes. 10 hours. 10 days. 10 weeks. 10 months. 10 years.
Strawberry60

Postby Jenell Magrum » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:50 pm

Thank you so much for your suggestions; I greatly appreciate someone being willing to reach out and actually answer my questions here! These are good suggestions which I will look into.
Blessings,
Jenell
Jenell Magrum

Postby Strawberry60 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:22 am

Jenell Magrum wrote:Thank you so much for your suggestions; I greatly appreciate someone being willing to reach out and actually answer my questions here! These are good suggestions which I will look into.
Blessings,
Jenell

Please post back about your progress. I will be really interested to read how you and your family are getting on. Also if you discover anything that is causing the problem it would be interesting to read your findings.
Wishing you success
Will it matter in 10 minutes. 10 hours. 10 days. 10 weeks. 10 months. 10 years.
Strawberry60

Return to Family and Children