Breastfeeding and small baby

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Breastfeeding and small baby

Postby Mclnd » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:43 am

My baby was born in the 4th percentile. He gained well at first, but since introducing solids has fallen to the 0% (weight and head circumference). I nurse him on demand and feed him 3 meals plus puffed baby cereal when out or sometimes at home. He is extremely healthy and walking, but small. At the 12 month well baby, his dr yelled at me that I wasn't feeding him and my milk had dried up (I see it on baby's cheek when he pauses) and that I was nursing too much and should give him whole milk. His birth weight was 5 lb 5oz. His 12month weight 16 lb 4oz. His hemoglobin test was "normal". Wouldn't adding good formula be better than regular milk? Do I need to add formula? (I bought some in my panic.) And do any of you have advice for foods that will help a 12 month old catch up? (My 2 other babies were premcdougall, over 7lbs at birth and I never had to worry like this, though they were not as healthy and they ate chicken nuggets etc.) We've been a macdougalling family for 4 years.
Mclnd

Re: Breastfeeding and small baby

Postby jamietwo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:43 pm

Breast milk is still the best food for a 12-month old. If you're concerned about his weight, I would take him to another doctor who understands the benefits of breastmilk. Good luck!
Jamie
jamietwo

Re: Breastfeeding and small baby

Postby Mclnd » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:59 pm

Thank you. I will try to change drs. Going forward, I hope slow and steady wins the race, and that he is as healthy as possible.
Mclnd

Return to Family and Children