Pregnant over 40 - Aspirin??

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pregnant over 40 - Aspirin??

Postby Jzeec » Thu May 26, 2016 12:38 pm

I'm 42 years old and 12 weeks pregnant. I conceived after having unprotected sex one time with my partner of 21 years. Yes, ONE TIME! Both my partner and I have been vegans for 20 years and we take our B12 and D3 regularly. And now I'm pregnant I take other supplements as well. We eat mostly a whole food plant based diet. I have never been pregnant before. I don't drink alcohol, caffeine or smoke and am not overweight. I don't have any medical issues. So far I've had an easy pregnancy with no morning sickness.

My midwife who has yet to meet me or know anything about my medical history other than that this is my first pregnancy and my age, suggested on the phone that I should start taking baby aspirin everyday to help implantation of my placenta. I did a little research online and found that other women who were prescribed this had previous miscarriages, blood clotting disorders, diabetes, high blood pressure or are obese. I on the other hand am super healthy, probably not going to get gestational diabetes (they say this happens with older moms) because I hardly eat any sugars or refined carbs and have had a super easy time conceiving and carrying this pregnancy so far. I have not put aspirin in my body for over 10 years and am not about to start now without any risk factors other than my age. I also feel like other older moms have more complications because most people on a SAD diet have lots of health problems in their middle age. Anyway, I have not heard of healthy younger women being prescribed aspirin for their pregnancy, so I don't know why I should be.

Am I being unreasonable? Should I just do as she says even though she is only prescribing aspirin based on my age and no other information?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!
Jzeec

Re: Pregnant over 40 - Aspirin??

Postby roundcoconut » Thu May 26, 2016 2:33 pm

If I were in your shoes, I'd reject the idea out of hand. I wouldn't bother researching it -- it just goes against the values I live by. (I.e. I don't believe in taking medicine when it is not needed for any legit symptoms or disease process. Preggers is not a disease process in my book.)

Being plant-based, you've already given your body the best possible chance of having a healthy pregnancy and carrying this baby/fetus to term. I would ask Spirit to watch over my baby/fetus, and to do what's best for the highest happiness of all involved. And I would trust the outcomes that follow.

That is a philosophical / spiritual opinion more than a medical one! So you do not have to agree with me. :)
roundcoconut

Postby beachkat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:38 pm

That's bizarre advice in my experience unless you have a previous clotting factor. I had my last child 2 weeks before I turned 42. I didn't do anything different with him, then I did with any of my pregnancies.

Best wishes for a healthy and happy pregnancy.
beachkat

Postby amgmmg » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:20 am

I had my first child at 40 and I fell pregnant with my second on my 43rd birthday. In between I had like 3 miscarriages.

No one ever suggested I take aspirin. I was fine, I was too stressed and I believe that was the reason for the miscarriages, or I had some fibroids, because when I had my C - section the doctor said It was a miracle pregnancy with those fibroids. But I was fine and my daughter was fine. She is 8 today.

This was before I changed my diet.
amgmmg

Postby zilly84 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:31 pm

42 is really not that old to have children. My great grandma had ten children and I'm sure she was in her 40's for quite a few of them. Your body is perfectly able to handle this pregnancy. Even if you weren't eating such a perfect diet. Our species wouldn't have made it long if women's bodies couldn't handle pregnancy throughout our fertile years. I wouldn't take it. If be worried about the risk from taking it. Aspirin can give children Reyes syndrome. I believe you aren't even supposed to take it while pregnant or breastfeeding.
zilly84

Return to Family and Children