School lunches!! Help please!

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

School lunches!! Help please!

Postby Julia » Sun May 01, 2016 9:13 am

Hi Everyone,

My husband and my two kiddies (6 and 13 years old) and I are moving (immigrating)to the US this summer from Germany and are coming to live in Washington DC. I have been the biggest fan of Dr McDougall and the others like Neal Barnard etc, and I can hardly believe I will now be able to meet some of them in person.

I am quite apprehensive about what to give my kids every day for school lunch as where we live, they basically come home for lunch. If anyone has advice on what you pack,so they don't have to eat what is definitely off the McDougall plan, I would be very grateful. If there are any families in the area it would be so nice to get to know you. There are NONE in my area in Germany. I did try to give plant based cooking courses etc, but even when people came, I am the ONLY person in Europe that has heard of the no oil chant :crybaby: :-D

Hope to hear from someone soon :-D

Julia
Julia

Re: School lunches!! Help please!

Postby openmind » Tue May 03, 2016 8:50 am

Julia wrote:Hi Everyone,

My husband and my two kiddies (6 and 13 years old) and I are moving (immigrating)to the US this summer from Germany and are coming to live in Washington DC. I have been the biggest fan of Dr McDougall and the others like Neal Barnard etc, and I can hardly believe I will now be able to meet some of them in person.

I am quite apprehensive about what to give my kids every day for school lunch as where we live, they basically come home for lunch. If anyone has advice on what you pack,so they don't have to eat what is definitely off the McDougall plan, I would be very grateful. If there are any families in the area it would be so nice to get to know you. There are NONE in my area in Germany. I did try to give plant based cooking courses etc, but even when people came, I am the ONLY person in Europe that has heard of the no oil chant :crybaby: :-D

Hope to hear from someone soon :-D

Julia

I would think at the top of the list would be homemade veggie burger sandwiches and nut butter sandwiches. Maybe some vegan mac n cheese too?

Welcome to the U.S.!
openmind

Postby Mama2pumpkins » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:48 pm

My family has only been eating this way for 3 months. It's not been easy converting 2 teen boys. Our go to lunch has been a baked potato or two with sauce, a muffin, an Apple, and carrot sticks. Often they get pasta and sauce or chili in a thermos. Grain salads work too.
Mama2pumpkins

Postby Trinity » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:26 am

Julia, where in DC have you moved to? We live in Woodbridge (suburb to the south). I hope your move went OK!
Trinity

Postby Granolamom » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:17 am

My 6 year old has never eaten meat but is a very picky eater. School lunches are a joke so I have to pack his lunch everyday. I'm not very creative...just try to make sure he has 1 thing I know he will eat which is either pasta and broccoli, peanut butter sandwich or tofu. Then I typically pack carrots/soy yogurt/rice cake etc. I bought a planet box which has made small selections of veggies/fruit easier (planetbox is a lunchbox).
Granolamom

Postby Ninalemon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi there and welcome to the area :)

I make a lot of Chef AJs "Just Bananas" muffins (you can find the recipe on the forks over knives site) and send with fruit/veg (carrots, apples, grapes, green beans). My 8 year old likes to take salads, my 5 year eats too slowly to have salad at school. I also send in cold pasta or mashed potatoes in a thermos.

It can be a bit of a challenge, especially since our current district only gives the kids 15 min to eat :mad: I try to focus on filling starches that they can eat quickly.

Good luck :)
Ninalemon

Return to Family and Children