Gestational diabetes

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Gestational diabetes

Postby Sootysgirl » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:46 am

Hi, I've just watched the Forks over Knives documentary for the second time and I'm intrigued.
I'm currently struggling to keep blood sugar under control with diet alone as I have gestational diabetes, I've seen what can happen with switching the diet in the doc and would love to see if this would work for me, my concern is a sudden change in diet while pregnant (27 weeks).
I tried turning to plant based foods back last November and became quite ill, which I was very upset about as I loved not eating meat, I was free of meat for around 3 months before I became so useless I felt I had no choice...(sluggish, nauseated, migraines, fatigued, bad concentration etc)..
Please would you be able to advise me on how best to go about this and control my blood sugar levels? I don't want the change to cause a spike as I really want to avoid medication... I've also been hypothyroid for 16 years but am currently seeing an endocrinologist who has my level under his control (he put me back on thyroxine after being off it for a few months as I felt fine without it but because blood said it was low, he wanted me on the meds for baby, I don't feel any better, in fact I feel more tired) .... Thank you.
Sootysgirl

Re: Gestational diabetes

Postby Dougalling » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:13 am

Hi

You may want to try re-posting under Jeff Novick RD thread. He would be the best one to advise you on food choices.
Congrats on your pregnancy.
Dougalling

Return to Family and Children