Amenorrhea in teens

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Amenorrhea in teens

Postby PatricijaV » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:28 am

Hello,

I'm 14 years old,163cm tall and my weight is 48-50kg(my mum says it'd too low).
I don't exercise and don't walk(forbiden in last 3 years,both)

I suffer from secondary amenorrhea in last 3 years and I went avegeterian two years ago and I'm a vegan in last year(following McDougall in last month or two)

I read often it's important to increase fat intake to beat amenorrhea,but is there any advice from McDougall or Jeff Novick for amenorrhea?Do you have any advices?

Thanks in advance,
Patricija
PatricijaV

Re: Amenorrhea in teens

Postby Hopingthisworks » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:28 am

Are you taking a vitamin B12 supplement? Being low on that vitamin could be a factor.
Hopingthisworks

Postby PatricijaV » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:29 am

I do take it(veg 1 supplement)
PatricijaV

Postby Hopingthisworks » Sun May 01, 2016 6:36 pm

Ah ok, I thought there was a chance you might be low in that vitamin, as some people don't supplement with it (which is a bad idea as lack of B12 can cause nerve damage amoungst other problems).

Did you manage at all to increase your weight? I remember when I was young I only had my period when my weight was at least of a BMI of 20.3. People's build (I mean bone structure) and fitness level can mean their minimum weight needs to be a bit higher than someone else's to get a regular period.

Anyway I hope you get it sorted out soon :)
Hopingthisworks

Return to Family and Children