teenage boys

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

teenage boys

Postby mapat » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:12 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1289

An older topic I found interesting. I generally cook for all of us, including my grandchildren 8-16-19, 4 kids I babysit for, and the many friends who hang out here (a lot), so I have the opportunity to teach them all about healthy eating. The younger children are much easier; teenage boys...
well, I can cook many foods they will eat, but getting them to listen about the 'why' they shouldn't eat certain things and why they should choose healthier foods-- that is a different challenge. Yet they need to understand the whys to eventually make their own choices. Any suggestions?
mapat

Re: teenage boys

Postby jamietwo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:57 pm

I was fortunate to have raised my teenage boy this way from the beginning (he tops 6' at age 15). He is starting to question the added oils because it prohibits so many prepared foods. But all teenagers will question something. Rip's Engine 2 stuff might appeal to the teen crowd...

Disclaimer: I didn't remove added oils from our diets until he was 8.
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby mapat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:51 pm

New Tactic! Since these teenage (mostly)boys eat often and at odd times, I'm never quite sure who or how many will be here for dinner...so, I just cook the rice/potatoes/etc and veggies. Then they come in 'starving to death'. "Oh I haven't cooked the [whatever meat] yet." So they fill up on starches, and maybe, sometimes, a few veggies. Yeah, maybe cook some meat later, maybe not.;-) (Quite often the starches are enough to satisfy them) Cooking this way--I think their meat consumption has dropped about half due to teenage impatience :-D
mapat

Postby grid » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:52 am

mapat wrote:New Tactic! Since these teenage (mostly)boys eat often and at odd times, I'm never quite sure who or how many will be here for dinner...so, I just cook the rice/potatoes/etc and veggies. Then they come in 'starving to death'. "Oh I haven't cooked the [whatever meat] yet." So they fill up on starches, and maybe, sometimes, a few veggies. Yeah, maybe cook some meat later, maybe not.;-) (Quite often the starches are enough to satisfy them) Cooking this way--I think their meat consumption has dropped about half due to teenage impatience :-D

This is genius!!!!!! :lol:
grid

Postby Dougalling » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:40 am

HI

I'd have them watch the Forks Over Knives DVD.
I'd also show them online sites by whole foods plant based athletes and body builders.
Dougalling

Return to Family and Children