12month old diet

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

12month old diet

Postby 123ktr456 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi there,
I have done a lot of my own research and I am having a hard time finding information on whether or not children need a milk supplement after 12months of age. My 12month old son currently drinks whole milk as I could not find any information on an appropriate alternative. He also eats a full plant based diet.
My question is can I take him off whole milk completely now that he is 12 months old? If not what is the best alternative to whole milk, is it hemp milk?
Also for future reference if I have more children, as my son completely weaned himself off of breastmilk at 6 months, does a 6 month old still require a milk supplement or can they get enough nutrition from solid foods? If so what is the best alternative, hemp milk?
Appreciate any information as I am having a hard time finding answers to these specific questions :)
123ktr456

Re: 12month old diet

Postby ANGELOJ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:07 pm

OK, I am no expert so you do still need to get some expert answers to your questions - maybe post a note direct to Jeff.
For me the answer is clear. My wife and i have a 3 week old baby. Like you our intention is to breast feed for as long as possible (at least 6 months) and then onto a sensible rounded whole foods plant based diet. We see no place of animal products in the babys diet.
My opinion (which my wife shares) is why would we feed cows milk, with all those cow hormones, not to mention the contamination through feed and drugs given to cows, to our child?
Having done lots of research on this also, the question you need to ask, I believe, is what do you think there is in cow milk that is not available in plant based foods? A good balanced diet will provide all babies needs.
Have a read at these articles on this site
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -products/

My only curent item I am still researching is regarding B12. Other than that I have no doubt that animal products are bad for my baby and as long as I can influence her decisions I will ecourage her to eat a whole foods plant based diet centered around startch

Making choices for your bay is tough and you are doing the right thing by researching and asking advice - please get some expert help to help you decide on what is right for your baby. Like i say a direct post to Jeff Novick might be a great starting place
ANGELOJ

Postby Jumpstart » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:38 pm

Ask Jeff, he has raised kids as plant based vegans and would be the person that knows.
Jumpstart

Postby 123ktr456 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:16 pm

Thanks, I have asked Jeff in the other discussion board
123ktr456

Postby ReginaML » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:46 am

Hello,
I have two boys, ages 14 and 10. They have been vegetarian/mostly vegan their whole lives. Both of my boys were also breastfed beyond 1 year (18mo & 32mo) Neither of them had dairy during the first 5 years of their lives because of an intolerance to milk - eczema, severe diaper rash, skin eruptions when I ate dairy while breast feeding. I was vegetarian at the time and my midwife suggested I stop eating dairy. As soon as I stopped, the rashes and skin problems went away immediately. I have been vegan ever since -- I realized how much better I felt (no more constipation or acne). Both of my boys are tall, thin (within normal weight range), very active and excelling academically. Now they eat cheese occasionally - mostly at school/social events. If they eat too much, skin problems appear, so they know not to eat too much.

When they were little, I would buy a different alternative milk every week (oat, soy, almond, rice, etc) just to switch it up. I just mashed up whatever my husband and I were eating and that's what the kids ate. Lots of fruit, sweet potatoes, rice, other root veggies, beans and smoothies. They loved smoothies - still do.

I have never felt they needed cows milk, especially after seeing how much it was harming them. I had a hard time finding a pediatrician in Dallas, who was okay with us being vegetarian. Fortunately, I don' t live in Dallas any more. I am also a Registered Nurse and board certified lactation nurse, so I did a ton of research and truly believe that children, of any age, do not need dairy, meat or eggs. Most people have a hard time arguing with me about it because my kids look so healthy and energetic.

Here's an article written by McDougall - https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl ... ildren.htm

Hope that helps some.
Regina
ReginaML

Return to Family and Children