Asking for advice for Type 1 diabetes

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Asking for advice for Type 1 diabetes

Postby Soulnrg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:13 am

My 10 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I understand it is an auto immune disease and her pancreas has decided stop producing insulin .
She needs to take two kinds of insulin at breakfast & supper . I am having a difficult time accepting we need to reduce the amount of plant based food in her meals since it affects her blood sugars. The change is challenging with her dietary planning , since we were accustomed to a more plant base diet , with maybe minimum of 1-2 serving of meat per week . Now weve been told we need calculate & watch her plant carb amounts since it affects her blood sugars .
Im asking for help and suggestions, since it feels like weve been adding more meat, milk, chz to her diet almost daily to fill her up since we are only allowed a max of 53 carbs for lunch & supper. It concerns me that we have increased the meat, chz intake & I would like to find a way to bring that amount back down again while still managing my daughters type 1 diabetes, blood sugars, amount of insulin given , keep her hunger satisfied & make sure she is receiving healthy nutrition for her body . I'm starting to wonder is it a bad thing to increase her insulin amounts so that she can have a larger portion of carbs from plants ?
Any advice would be so much appreciated , thankyou.
Soulnrg

Re: Asking for advice for Type 1 diabetes

Postby dumbbunny » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi. I am surprised not to see
any information posted to your
questions. I would like to see
the suggestions also.
My oldest child was
diagnosed@ 7(31 years ago) .
2 of my grandchildren also been diagnosed
within the past 4 years @ 3 & 13.
Hopefully all is going well.
dumbbunny

Postby openmind » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:35 pm

dumbbunny wrote:Hi. I am surprised not to see
any information posted to your
questions. I would like to see
the suggestions also.
My oldest child was
diagnosed@ 7(31 years ago) .
2 of my grandchildren also been diagnosed
within the past 4 years @ 3 & 13.
Hopefully all is going well.

Here's a good thread on the topic
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48924
openmind

Postby dumbbunny » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:00 am

Thank you. My 2 older daughters will understand the ( terminology) better so I will maybe get a clearer understanding. ..besides they deal with type 1 diabetes on a daily basis. One has it & the others~ both daughters have it.
dumbbunny

Return to Family and Children