Gluten intolerance and multiple food allergies

Share your McDougall Support Group Ideas Here.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Gluten intolerance and multiple food allergies

Postby mmolinalove » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:06 pm

First I want to share my story. I am 37 yrs old female. When I was young I was always slender. My mom use to call me a fruit head cuz I lived mainly on fruit and nuts. I always ate macaroni and butter too. But basically thats all I ever lived on. As years went by of course I had to add all the basic food groups that today's doctors recommend us to have. I had a familly so I started cooking for all. And of course the main course being some form of meat/protein. I always lived on the belief that we should consume lots of low carb veggies, fruit on empty stomach, only whole grains and no refined foods or sugars. And of course meat! Anyhow as the years went on I gained weight, went hypothyroid, had kidney problems, sugar problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol. I always thought it was my thyroid being hypo that caused my other symptoms because it usually comes hand in hand. Later I started having major digestive problems and lactose intolerance to the point where I couldn't even eat out without having an episode it got so bad I begged the doctor for a food allergy test. I went through extensive testing only to find that I was allergic to all these foods listed; BEEF, PORK, CHOCOLATE, EGGS, ALL DAIRY PRODUCTS, AND UNFORTUNATELY CORN, PEANUTS, SOY (MAJOR PART OF MY THYROID PROBLEM WAS CONSUMING SOY IN EVERY THING) OATS, RYE, MALT, BARLEY, WHEAT, YEAST, TOMATO, ORANGES, POTATO(POTATOES SWELL ME UP IN MORNING AND GIVE ME DIARHEA CRAMPS AND BLOATING. I KNOW BECAUSE THEY USE TO BE MY FAVORITE FOOD THEN WHEN I STARTED ELIMATING THEM ALONG WITH DAIRY I HAD NO PROBLEMS).. I'm like what am i suppose to eat? Well I still eat everything on my list. But what turned me towards mcdougall was that whenever I just ate veggies and fruit for a few days I started feeling so energetic, but then the fears implanted in todays society of not having calcium, protein, b12 etc.. kept me from being 100% vegan. So I decided to somersize by susan somers which in her diet you follow a low carb diet with lots of veggies but must have lots of lean protein and fat free dairy products too. I didn't lose one pound on her diet like all my friends did. But one day I decided to take the meat out of the picture for a week and I lost 5 lbs! I started feeling alot better and more energetic but every time I go back to the doctor they scare me into consuming calcium foods and proteins again. They even suggested me eating it even though I was allergic, they said just choose lean portions. Well I kept feeling miserable part time. Then every time I didnt eat meat or dairy for a day or so I would start feeling energetic again. So I decided to go on a all veggie diet. My stomach issues went away. I was always told that the diarrhea I had was from consuming too many veggies and fruits but when I only ate meat it would confirm that because my diarrhea would go away. But after months of testing my own body I have found that potato was my culprit and wheat and corn for the diarrhea problems not the veggies and all the meat did was drain my kidneys and liver of water so of course I prob wouldnt have diarrhea. SO my own tested theory answered, meat only makes one lose weight because it drains all the water from kidneys and constipates you and some foods not everyone can digest like others. Problem solved, avoid all my allergy foods all together! Problem is I love bread, corn and potatoes they are my favorite food. I cannot afford to buy rice bread. I totally want chips sometimes. So I've been finding it hard to stick to this way of eating because of the deprivation I have in not being able to eat many staple foods. I hate rice, I don't mind the pasta, But the breads made gluten free always have eggs and other ingredients im allergic too. SO basically every thing I can eat always has something I cant have in it. I cannot live on just beans fruits and veggies. I have to have some sort of gluten fix or I'm going to continue to fall off the wagon! what do i do? I just found a millet bread that is great and they make tortillas and chips too but problem is I found out that it causes problems with the thyroid too! In fact there's a whole list of foods that are suggested I avoid when it comes to hypothyroidism and it includes lots of veggies as well. I dont know. I hate being allergic to everything. I was just wondering if it is possible that the tests showed my allergies to it only becasue that was my main intake of my diet? Or should I just try to eat whole wheat with veggies and see if my allergy for it remains the same? I CANNOT live on veggies alone and even have limitations on what veggies i can have. I just cant.
mmolinalove

Re: Gluten intolerance and multiple food allergies

Postby mmolinalove » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:35 pm

I wanted to add the foods that they told me to avoid for my thyroid health...
broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cassava root (found in tapioca), cauliflower, beans, maize (corn), millet, mustard, peanuts, pearl millet, pine nuts, rapeseed, sweet potatoes, soy, soybeans, turnips

Avoid all foods high in thiourea
(these also reduce thyroid function):
kale, mustard greens, peaches, peanuts, pears, rutabaga, spinach, strawberries, and turnips.

With my food allergies and these foods above? Whats left for me to eat?
mmolinalove

What kind of allergy test did you have?

Postby veggiecat » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:57 am

Try eating the foods you know are safe & add 1 suspect food at a time.
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Re: What kind of allergy test did you have?

Postby mmolinalove » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:15 am

veggiecat wrote:Try eating the foods you know are safe & add 1 suspect food at a time.

Thanks. I had whole wheat bread yesterday and 2 baked potatoes and I woke up this morning swollen and a little heavy on the breathing. My blood pressure was a bit high too 140/96. I'm just going to disregard the thyroid food they say will bother me and stick to my allergy list for now. It's big enough. My doc told me to try turnips and sweet potatoes because she said they are not in the potato family at all. So maybe I'll make sweet potato baked fries. But I'm having a real hard time affording to buy assorted veggies. Will I get sick if I eat single foods at a time? Like for example, cereal for breakfast with rice milk (allergic to soy) and blueberries, then for lunch a baked sweet potato and a salad with just spinach and carrots. Then when I buy my beans I buy the blend that has 16 different types of beans and I find it easier to afford frozen veggies because they keep fresh long time so I buy those in assorted mixes too.. Maybe throw them all in a soup or stir fry. But mainly I'm eating whole single vegetables? If I eat a different one every other day will I be still getting the proper nutrients? I take a vegan vitamin daily and I am also going to continue my fish oil vitamins because I do know those have helped me so much with my neck pain after i had my surgery and with strength in my bones. By the way the kind of test i had was igg ige intolerance/histamine test.
mmolinalove

Postby Greg Kaler » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:44 pm

To mmolinalove

Your hating rice is all in your head my dear. You haven't had good rice.
Unless you're allergic to it, there's no way you can't love rice- the real, best rices, and there are many! Keep trying it. The power of positive thinking. It's such a great starch, and addition to meals.
Greg Kaler

Postby Greg Kaler » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Has anyone ever tried Carolina Gold Rice? It's terribly expensive, but our favorite, such great texture and flavor.
Greg Kaler

Return to Support Groups