Fatigue with newbie lifting weights

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fatigue with newbie lifting weights

Postby mkh9 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi,
I am a newbie to lifting weights. I am trying to get in shape so I got a trainer so I won't get injured. We do 50 minutes of stretching then an intense workout with some type of weight lifting. It is hard for me being a beginner. I am sleeping enough (at least 8 hours), drinking at least 8 glasses of water and/or herbal tea or more. I want to lose a couple of pounds of fat and/ gain muscle mass. So I don't want to eat too much but I think I need to eat more. I am not really more hungry though. I am tired all the time and especially when I am working out and after. I have come home and usually eat a sweet potato for the potassium and carbs. Should I try something different? The past couple of years I have been sitting most of the day due to a back injury so I realize a lot of the fatigue is due to lactic acid buildup and just the change in doing more. But it is severe fatigue. I also get slightly dizzy sometimes when I am working out even though I have had water before. My blood sugar runs a bit low (about 70 non-fasting). But I'm not hypoglycemic.
thanks,
mkh9
mkh9

Re: Fatigue with newbie lifting weights

Postby mkh9 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:25 pm

LynnCS wrote:I don't know your whole story, but I think I would start a lot slower, since you've been sedentary for a while. Congratulations for getting moving. I think you might be on the right track with thinking that your chemistry might be a little out of whack, but just eating a lot of whole foods; starches and colorful vegis...etc, you'll eventually notice the energy come back, but meantime, Dr. McDougall suggest brisk walking everyday. I started out that way and added some light lifting at home. Now I've joined the gym and do a full workout without getting fatigued.

Before I started here, I was cold all the time and sooo tired. I estimate that my body didn't digest or absorb the food I ate very well. I took quite a while to feel I'd completely turned around, but I did start feeling better right away. You might get on the "Ask a Star McDougaller" and write down all the food you eat so they can give you some help. Sometimes when we are new, we don't realize that we aren't really following the plan the way it would be best for us.

Thanks,
Well I have been walking for the last two years every day and then the last couple of months before going to the gym I was doing some light weights for my arms. But I still have the fatigue. I was getting some fatigue actually since my knee injury and blood clots in June 2014. The blood clots are gone and now I'm recovered mostly from the knee but it has been a long recovery. So it could be diet. My thyroid values were normal a few months ago so I don't think it is that. So it may be that my diet isn't as great as it could be. I know it is still too high in vegetable fat like peanut butter and avacado etc. so I'll do as you say and try to change the diet aspect.
mkh9
mkh9

Postby Ampin Up » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:44 am

Eat more starch and less fat. You need more good calories.
Jeff - Certified Starch Solution Instructor
Down over 50 lbs and controlling BP, cholesterol, diabetes and arthritis no meds
Free Health info and recipes on my website
Self-Paced classes from $1
https://sites.google.com/site/letsbehealthytogether/
Ampin Up

Postby mkh9 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:39 pm

We are basically on the diet with our own ideas. But I may need to lower fats and increase carbs. I think we eat a lot of carbs though. I will revisit the free online site and try to stick to that 10 day plan and see how I feel. Something I don't understand about the 10 day plan is that they say you can eat as much as you like but then they say a meal has say 6 servings. Are we supposed to have one serving or if you are still hungry you can eat more than one serving. It looks like a lot of the meals are made so that you don't have to cook so often you can repeat them.

My husband lost a lot of weight and kept it off but it crept up a little and stayed there but I never lost anything. His BMI was high and he needed to lose weight and mine was good I never lost any, and I could lose 5 lbs maybe. I just need to gain muscle mass.

Also, regarding eating vinegar for salad dressing, has anyone had problems with their teeth and losing enamel? It is off topic but we have been eating a big green leafy salad mixture and basalmic vinegar as the dressing and I was worried about that.

We're also adding ground flax seed to the breakfast as Dean Ornish said you have to have it for Omega 3's.

thanks,
mkh9
mkh9

Postby Ampin Up » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:03 pm

mkh9 wrote:We are basically on the diet with our own ideas. But I may need to lower fats and increase carbs. I think we eat a lot of carbs though. I will revisit the free online site and try to stick to that 10 day plan and see how I feel. Something I don't understand about the 10 day plan is that they say you can eat as much as you like but then they say a meal has say 6 servings. Are we supposed to have one serving or if you are still hungry you can eat more than one serving. It looks like a lot of the meals are made so that you don't have to cook so often you can repeat them.

Eat until you are satisfied. If you are still hungry, you are not satisfied.

Your plate should be about 70% starch, 20% veggies and 10% fruit. Don't count carbs or think about eating that way. If you eat what is on plan, you will be fine.

No oil should be added to your food. Flaxseed is fine if kept under 2 tablespoons.

Best to you.
Jeff - Certified Starch Solution Instructor
Down over 50 lbs and controlling BP, cholesterol, diabetes and arthritis no meds
Free Health info and recipes on my website
Self-Paced classes from $1
https://sites.google.com/site/letsbehealthytogether/
Ampin Up

Postby Jumpstart » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:07 pm

What drugs are you taking? You might look in that direction for the problem.
Jumpstart

Postby mkh9 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:04 pm

I'm taking several drugs for a migraine variant/vertigo that I have been on for two years but they can all cause fatigue. Maybe one of them has started to change in its affect on me.
mkh9
mkh9

Postby Daydream » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:08 am

My energy level went up significantly from going on the McDougall diet. It was the whole food plant based starches that gave me a lot of energy (sweet potatoes, brown rice, beans, oat groats, etc.).

I like lifting weights but I wouldn't want to stretch for 50 minutes BEFORE an intense weight lifting workout. I'd rather give all my energy towards weight lifting first and then do a bit of stretching at the end of my workout. My suggestion is to try weight work before stretching.
Daydream

Postby LaLanne2 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:55 pm

mkh9 wrote:Hi,
I am a newbie to lifting weights. I am trying to get in shape so I got a trainer so I won't get injured. We do 50 minutes of stretching then an intense workout with some type of weight lifting. It is hard for me being a beginner. I am sleeping enough (at least 8 hours), drinking at least 8 glasses of water and/or herbal tea or more. I want to lose a couple of pounds of fat and/ gain muscle mass. So I don't want to eat too much but I think I need to eat more. I am not really more hungry though. I am tired all the time and especially when I am working out and after. I have come home and usually eat a sweet potato for the potassium and carbs. Should I try something different? The past couple of years I have been sitting most of the day due to a back injury so I realize a lot of the fatigue is due to lactic acid buildup and just the change in doing more. But it is severe fatigue. I also get slightly dizzy sometimes when I am working out even though I have had water before. My blood sugar runs a bit low (about 70 non-fasting). But I'm not hypoglycemic.
thanks,
mkh9

How often do you lift, and what exercises?
LaLanne2

Postby mkh9 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:22 pm

LaLanne2 wrote:
mkh9 wrote:Hi,
thanks,
mkh9

How often do you lift, and what exercises?

LaLanne2

I have been going 2 times a week. Monday and Thursday. I just started getting more energy now that I am building endurance and/or muscle. I now can do more this week and last week. So I think it is just from too much sitting and inactivity to doing a whole lot at once. Now I am going to try for 3 times a week and that is it. The rest will be aerobic. I walk every day. But I am not a fast walker. 2 miles /hr and I walk two miles so far after the last injury.
I noticed with the stretching and weights my back pain is almost gone. The knee pain is almost gone too. So this is great. I just have to keep my food intake with the proper amount of carbs/protein. I guess I will get there. I do want to get better at the diet. We have been on it two years now but can always improve.

I just read a study that said older people I think it was either 52 or 60 onward need more protein than the recommended daily allowance in order to build muscle. It was a good article such as Medscape or something my husband read it. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I believe the new recommendations for building muscle for older people was double the RDA of about 35g or so. It is a brand new study. I know Dr. McDougall says we don't need as much as they say. So, I don't know. I already get about 55-60g a day. I am 138 lbs. That is already at the high end of the recommended amount anyway.

thanks,
mkh9
mkh9

Postby LaLanne2 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:15 pm

That's good to hear that your fatigue was just you getting used to the exertion.
As for the protein, those are just guidelines for newbies. What you have to do is play it by ear. Eat just the whole food and see if you are getting stronger. If you are, you are eating enough. If you are not, then try eating protein richer food like beans, a handful of nuts and things like that.
LaLanne2

Return to Exercise and Fitness