Triathlete Diet

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Triathlete Diet

Postby triscott » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:06 pm

My wife and I decided to commit to this diet last night. I am an age-group triathlete and eat pretty well but my diet does include some meat and refined products. I was wondering if there are any triathletes/endurance athletes that are using this diet. If so, have you seen a difference in your race results after going meatless, dairy-less, etc.? And does going meatless include whey protein powder? Also, what about Gatorade/PowerAde/Amino Vital -type drinks? Are those no-nos because of the sugar and chemical content?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I'm done.
triscott

Re: Triathlete Diet

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:59 pm

The best approach is to take the Buddha's advice, "Come and see for yourself."

Try it and see. Everyone's experience is different, but this diet is optimum health, and optimum health makes for great training and racing. Optimum performancecould require doing things that enhance short term results but at a cost to long term health.

I race primarily XTERRA, but also some MTB and trail runs. I am slow, generally at the back of the pack. But before I went plant based, I couldn't even get into the pack, because I couldn't train consistently enough tp participate. So for me it's been a revelation.

Concentrated protein powders are not recommended on this plan, and as whey is dairy based animal protein that is a byproduct of the cheese industry, it is doubly discouraged. Its anabolic effect is real, but that comes from raising IGF-1, which also makes cancer grow along with muscles. Bodybuilders seem unaware or unconcerned with this. There are vegan alternatives, but they probably are no better. Sports drinks are generally discouraged along with other forms of drinking calories. They have their place, but their value is overrated. I challenge you to try training without them and see what happens. I still use some Hammer products because I tolerate them well, but less and less as time goes on. I just don't need them except for really long or intense efforts like races. On a starch based diet with regular training, your muscles are always fully stocked with glycogen, and the rich diversity of plant foods means you probably won't need to go raiding all the supplements at GNC.

A lot of the strictness here relates to those who have significant weight to lose, or health problems to resolve. Others may have some more leeway, but everyone has to customize the plan a little.

For more info, you can PM me, or check my blogs for a little insight. I've been a little inactive lately due to focusing my off season on prepping a vintage VW camper van for my 2015 race HQ. There are also some other vegan endurance athletes like Rich Roll (great podcast!) and Scott Jurek worth following. Both have written great memoirs. Vegan Health and Fitness magazine also has good inspiration. And while a little too into supplements, Brendan Brazier has some good food for thought.

Welcome aboard!
vgpedlr

Postby triscott » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:31 am

Thanks so much for the help! I'll definitely check out some of your sources and cut the protein powder. I'm looking forward to checking my race results in the next few months. I think this diet will be greatly beneficial. I just have to get past the old ideas that have been ingrained in my head. :-D
triscott

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:56 am

Since now it is the off season, it's the perfect time to change one's diet. Take your time and focus on getting it right. There is a learning curve. Get the book (The Starch Solution) and read it. Try some recipes. Then read it again. The rules are really very simple, no animal foods, no oils. Limit processed or refined food, which is defined as food components that have been stripped away, like sugar or oil. Everybody has to dial it in for their own unique situation and goals. Get Mary's cookbooks, and a few of the others people here love, such as The Happy Herbivore. Find some recipes that are familiar and comfortable and make them often. Gradually add new ones. Give the plan some time to work.

Later, if you feel you need to tweak and adjust, do it slowly, without changing too many things at once so you know what the effects are. For example, one thing that active folks often find is that they need to eat more than they are used to because the calorie density of their meals has gone done. While this program does not encourage counting calories, or anything else really, it can be useful exercise from time to time, especially at the beginning, to prove to yourself that you really are getting everything you need.
vgpedlr

Postby triscott » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Great advice! Thanks! I looked at the Happy Herbivore at the bookstore the other day and liked the layout. I'll check out the Starch Solution as well.

Thanks again!
triscott

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:26 pm

triscott wrote:Great advice! Thanks! I looked at the Happy Herbivore at the bookstore the other day and liked the layout. I'll check out the Starch Solution as well.

Thanks again!

Be sure to get The New McDougall Cookobook and The Quick and Easy Cookbook. Loads of easy recipes that are on plan. Beware that with Happy Herbivore many of her recipes are for two servings, while most cookbooks make four. Most vegan cookbooks work with the simple and easy modification of eliminating oil. Sometimes they use too many rich foods, but usually you can modify them. So if you browse and find one you like, use it.
vgpedlr

Return to Exercise and Fitness