Looking for Callanetics Peeps!

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Looking for Callanetics Peeps!

Postby Comma » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Do you do Callanetics?

I did it regularly when I was in my late 20s, and besides of toning muscles like crazy, it was soooo relaxing (after you worked through a couple of weeks and got used to it all). It was like a drug. I then stopped, probably moved or something, but want to start again. Anybody? I'm planning to do it every night before bed like I used to, to battle effects from scoliosis. :nod:
Comma

Re: Looking for Callanetics Peeps!

Postby greentea » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:25 pm

I can't believe there is somebody out there who know about Callanetics other than me! I've been doing it off and on since my 20's too. Although I don't do the full workout anymore, I incorporate many moves into my regular workout.
greentea

Postby Daydream » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:16 am

Which Callanetics DVD is your favorite?
Daydream

Postby greentea » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:35 am

I picked up a copy of the original "callanetics" workout long after I had been doing if from the book. It's ok, a bit dated though. I prefer the book because she gives really good detailed information on how to do each exercise properly, and I can do the exercises at my own pace. The whole workout usually took me about an hour to do.
greentea

Postby fiberdrunk » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:32 pm

I just got into Callanetics as of this month. I have the original DVD and book, and after trying that, decided to get the beginning DVD, too, and use that until I can work up to the other one. I've lost 35 pounds since July going WFPB and did it without exercise so far. But my skin is definitely feeling loose. I definitely need to get toning. How is it going for everybody? I read in the book that weight gain can occur in the beginning, but not to get shocked by it-- I guess muscle weighs more than fat.
"To live long, live slowly." --Cicero
fiberdrunk

Postby greentea » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:33 pm

fiberdrunk wrote:I just got into Callanetics as of this month. I have the original DVD and book, and after trying that, decided to get the beginning DVD, too, and use that until I can work up to the other one. I've lost 35 pounds since July going WFPB and did it without exercise so far. But my skin is definitely feeling loose. I definitely need to get toning. How is it going for everybody? I read in the book that weight gain can occur in the beginning, but not to get shocked by it-- I guess muscle weighs more than fat.

Yeah, don't worry about the scale. Honestly, if you do the full Callanetics workout regularly, at least 3 times a week, you will see and feel the difference.
greentea

Postby Comma » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:56 am

Sorry, I was sick. :duh: Derailed my beginning of my new Callanetics journey. :angry:

I love 10 in 10. I also have Super (which makes me break down crying) and Evolution/Cardio, neither one of which I like much. Oh, and am/pm. But 10 is the best. And I got the book for the back one- I might peek in and see if there's some good stretches, I have scoliosis. It is usually taken care of if I do 10, though. If....

I also have the book for the 10 in 10, but I like having the DVD running for all that counting. My thoughts will drift sooner or later without or I'll just wander off. I recorded the soundtrack onto my ipod, so mostly I just play that.

The only stomach exercise I ever found that was better was from Teresa Tapp, but its not nearly as nice and stretchy. Her entire set is very, very hard but only 15 min total, which is a big plus.

I'll do 10 now before the kids come back. They are magically drawn to sit on me when I do exercises on the floor.... :crybaby:
Comma

Postby Comma » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:24 pm

I did it! I got to the pelvic sweepy things and had to stop bc of kids. If I think how good I was at this stuff, and now I even have to support my neck to do the stomach exercises..... :roll: High time to start again.

I looooove the stretches. :)

To any beginners: don't worry about keeping up. It'll come all by itself, just like she says. It's all just like she says. :cool:
Comma

Postby fiberdrunk » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:14 pm

I've done 4 sessions of the beginning DVD so far, and wow, I'm already starting to feel rock-hard muscles developing under the flab in my thighs and upper arms-- that was definitely not there before. Woo hoo! I can tell I'm already getting a little stronger. For the first 3 sessions, my muscles were a bit twitchy and shaky after the workouts, but after the 4th time, no more twitching muscles afterwards.
fiberdrunk

Postby greentea » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:02 pm

That's awesome! It's so rewarding to see changes.
I did a bunch of callanetics mixed in with weights at the gym today.
greentea

Postby perky12415 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Why does everyone love Callanentics? What's the primary focus?
perky12415

Postby greentea » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:30 am

perky12415 wrote:Why does everyone love Callanentics? What's the primary focus?

I love the workout for several reasons. It's a full body workout, you will gain strength and improve flexibility. It requires no special equipment so you can do it at home. Although challenging, it's also a gentle workout so anyone can do it no matter what shape you are in. I always feel incredibly relaxed after doing it.
I was a pudgy teen, and started doing this workout in my early 20's. I visited a cousin who I hadn't seen in several years, and I'll never forget what he said to me, that I looked like a model. :lol: That comment made me love callanetics even more!
greentea

Postby fiberdrunk » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:02 am

perky12415 wrote:Why does everyone love Callanentics? What's the primary focus?

I think it appealed to me because I was so sedentary before and really needed something to get some muscle tone back, something that wouldn't hurt my bad neck/hips. Callanetics is sort of a cross between ballet, yoga and calisthenics. Gentleness is always emphasized (tiny 1/16" to 1/2" movements in "triple slow motion"). It is no-impact. No bouncing or jerking allowed. The founder of Callanetics, Calla Pinckney, had scoliosis and other back problems, so she devised this exercise program specifically for people with back problems. It is safe, though be forewarned... it is challenging. Your muscles do burn! If you can get your hands on the original Callanetics book, there are some astonishing before-and-after photos in it. Like Pinckney once stated, plastic surgery is her only competition-- she gets results that look like you went under the knife. The exercises are designed to tone and lift through specific targeted movements.
fiberdrunk

Postby Lani Muelrath » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Big Callanetics fan myself! Actually, you can find this style of exercise in several new incarnations - Bar Method for example. There are also several foundational elements that are in Callanetics that emerge in Fit Quickies, too.

The original Callanetics videos I found overly long and tedious. And yes, relaxing when done! By I don't find I set aside over an hour for this kind of exercise - you can get the job done in a shorter period of time.

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby christianvegan » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:01 pm

I've created a fusion workout that I can do in about 25 min that combines callanetics type moves (ie, barre method, etc) with kettlebells for a KILLER workout that tones the small muscles but also gives all over toning and functional fitness and fat blasting of kettlebells. I'm thinking I might do the "trademark" thing on it. I dare say, it just may be the world's most effective workout for women ;)
christianvegan

Next

Return to Exercise and Fitness