exercise bench

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

exercise bench

Postby schermel » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:00 am

Just wondering if exercises that ask for an exercise bench (weight bench) could be simply done on the floor. For example a bench press with dumb bells. Is the bench really necessary? Thanks.
schermel

Re: exercise bench

Postby Lani Muelrath » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:22 pm

schermel wrote:Just wondering if exercises that ask for an exercise bench (weight bench) could be simply done on the floor. For example a bench press with dumb bells. Is the bench really necessary? Thanks.

Hi Schermel,

For most exercise requiring a bench, the setup is to allow for more range of motion at the elbow and shoulder.

For example, if on your back doing a bench press with either dumbbells or free weights, to be able to lower the resistance more closely to your chest, you would need to move beyond the edge of the bench in the direction of the floor. If on the floor, the floor itself would stop you there, inhibiting your range of motion and limiting somewhat the range of challenge you could place on the pectoral and deltoid muscles.

Make sense?

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby schermel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:49 am

Yes, that does make sense. I think I can find access to a bench at a local gym, so can do these kinds of exercises there. Thanks.
schermel

Postby Lani Muelrath » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:57 am

schermel wrote:Yes, that does make sense. I think I can find access to a bench at a local gym, so can do these kinds of exercises there. Thanks.

Sounds like a plan! I use a piano bench at home when required. A stability ball can also work, but you must be careful that the exercise you are doing wouldn't be dangerous using one. Don't want to bench press 350 on a stability ball! :eek:

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby NewRoman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi.you dont need a bench. Look up calisthenics chest and shouder exercises! I use that in my training . You can do many kind of push ups variations. You can also do push ups that focus on your shoulders depending on your positioning of the body.here is whatvyou do
go to youtube and type calisthenics chest workout. Or calisthenics shoulder workout . There are many videos. No dumbled needed or bench:)
Cheers.
Healthy and Pain Free, No Matter the Cost!
Roman
NewRoman

Postby JOJO1947 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:41 pm

I've done chest press and flys with dumbbells on a big swiss ball - not my heaviest benching but great for endurance and your core is wonderfully engaged the whole time. Feet firmly on floor, ball at the center of your back.
PS. If you have any kind of shoulder 'issues' it's a safer technique to just let your upper arm go down to parallel with the floor, not further. I'm thinking back to my rotator cuff injury. Same goes for military presses - upper arm no lower than parallel.
JoAnn
JOJO1947

Postby dinska » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:58 pm

I definitely also recommend picking up a swiss ball. It couldn't be cheaper and adds so much to your home workouts. I live in an apt. so it acts as my bench, also and can easily be rolled away or deflated if I'm having people over.

I've adapted my workouts for more reps with lighter weights for absolute safety.
dinska

Return to Exercise and Fitness