Potatos often overcooked.. still OK?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Potatos often overcooked.. still OK?

Postby Hal » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:28 pm

There's nothing better than instant-pot steamed russet potatoes and beans with a little basil, as long as the potatoes are perfect. :nod: They need to be small enough to heat evenly and always just long enough to be cooked through but no longer. I always forget and leave the instant pot on warm for another twenty minutes while i hammer out something on the keyboard and by that time the potatoes are pasty.

Sometimes it's an hour in the pot if i get distracted by something in the yard. Are potatoes overcooked OK to eat - pure calories only, or no different that 'perfect' potatoes? The reason i ask is that there is a n impression out there that overdone potatoes are bad for you, but i don't know if it's based on sound research.

Oops, i may be in the wrong thread - so to recap, just a general question about overcooked taters.
Hal

Re: Potatos often overcooked.. still OK?

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:57 am

Overcooked potatoes like that are safe to eat - just think of meals cooked in slow cookers, or potatoes in stews or in soups. Heck, even potatoes you make up with the intention of mashing them are "overcooked" when you come down to it!

The ones people warn about are those dry cooked and get burnt. It's those burnt spots that have the cancer-causing agents (acrylamides) in them.
VeggieSue

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning