What did you prep this weekend?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What did you prep this weekend?

Postby victw » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:13 am

Hi all,

I'm still trying to put together a weekend prep habit. Yesterday I made a batch of beans. Today I will do some potatoes in the crock pot. I will also make a pot of soup - but it might end up being dinner tonight due to time constraints today.

I'm finding the starches easy to do as I'm not so worried about not eating them all. I generally prep my salad in the morning before work. And roast some veggies mid week. But I'm not sure about having more than 2 or 3 days prepped food in the fridge as I"m not sure about freshness and food safety.

Would also be interested in those that use a multi-cooker (insta-pot/cosori/etc.) and which items you prepare in it. We recently obtained a 2 qt cosori and I haven't figured out how to leverage it for multiple meals.

Thanks.
Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Re: What did you prep this weekend?

Postby Willijan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:45 pm

In my Instant Pot, I cook batches of some of my staples, enough for 4-7 days of each. Batch foods almost always in my frig from the IP include oat groats, brown rice, some kind of beans, plain or seasoned, and applesauce. I occasionally make soups in the IP, although some of them don't do well because of overcooking the vegetables--adding the veggies at the end doesn't always work out well for some recipes.
Veggies such as broccoli, asparagus, brussels sprouts, green beans, etc., I cook on the stove or in the microwave, one or two meals at a time. But I do cut some of them up and have them ready to cook in the frig.
I have had very little trouble--maybe none-- with food spoiling. I often keep cooked food in the frig for 7 days, and it tastes great with no resulting health problems. It is probably important to keep your frig cold enough.
I don't like potatoes cooked ahead of time, they don't taste good to me. I usually eat my potatoes totally unseasoned. If they are in a soup or cooked in broth they are fine cooked ahead.
I also bake sweet potatoes ahead and store them for 3 to 5? days. They get eaten pretty fast; they might last even longer.
My pressure cooker has really made me a more efficient cook and saved me a lot of time. It takes longer to have the food ready, but it saves on human worktime. I can go do something else.
Hope this is helpful!
Willijan

Postby Willijan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Oh, vegetable broth is also very good made ahead in the IP. It seems so much easier than on the stove, although you still need to strain out the spent vegetables.
Willijan

Re: What did you prep this weekend? 7/8/18

Postby victw » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:38 am

This week I'm making the Festive Dal Soup.
I might use chard or kale instead of spinach.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/mmi_lesson_04.pdf

I leave the chickpeas out - 'cuz they aren't my favorite and I think the lentils are enough.
I might also pick up some cilantro for sprinkling on top.

I'm also making a batch of rice to have with it.

I already have a half lb of Good Mother Stallard means from Rio Grande going.

What's everyone prepping/batch cooking this week?
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Idgie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:13 pm

We're in a heat wave, so I'm trying to keep to cold stuff. I made a double batch of no-fat hummus, cut up a bunch of veggies, and mixed up a batch of black beans, corn, and salsa.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby moonlight » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:34 pm

I made the Shredded Salad, Barley Mushroom soup, Summer Potato Salad, Sweet and Sour Vegetables (with brown rice), and celery, carrots, radishes, and green pepper to go with Eggplant Dip. YUM! Enough food for a few days! All recipes from the MWL book.
moonlight

Postby Shmookitty » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:47 pm

So far I made about five or six days of amaranth, prepped some scallions and raw cauliflower, and have some onions and peppers sauteeing in water. Tomorrow I will probably make a big batch of barley.
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby moonlight » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 pm

serene wrote:High-pain weekend, but I got a fair bit prepped

Roasted a bunch of red peppers from the farmers' market
Big batch of oil-free hummus with the peppers
Roasted Jerusalem artichoke chunks
Made extra dinner for tomorrow's lunch
Bought boatloads of veggies; will chop some tonight

Your food sounds so good!
moonlight

Postby Daydream » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:47 pm

I do all of my food prep/batch cooking on the weekend so I don't have to cook during the week. My husband and I enjoy having leftovers during the week. This weekend I steamed a pot of Kabocha squash (sliced in wedges); I washed/steamed fresh French green beans, also washed/steamed fresh broccoli; zucchini and Swiss chard; I cooked a pot of pinto beans in the iPot; I cooked a pot of brown rice; made some hummus and roasted some Japanese sweet potatoes. I cooked some whole wheat angle hair pasta for my husband and grandsons; I washed/sliced fresh veggies for a salad (carrots, celery, red bell peppers, red cabbage, romaine). I also washed fresh raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. It's a LOT of work and I actually hate kitchen work but I enjoy having the leftovers during the week so it's worth the effort. We keep food in the fridge for 5-7 days.
Daydream

Postby moonlight » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:05 pm

I love seeing what other people prepare. Daydream and Serene, you've been busy! I got a few things prepared, too. I made dishes from the MWL book: Tomato Vegetable Salad, which I combined all the ingredients except tomatoes. I'll add those fresh at each serving. Sweet Potato Chowder with butternut squash instead of sweet potato, Curried Stuffed Peppers, which I made into a casserole instead of actually stuffing the peppers. I poured the Tomato Curry Sauce over the top and baked for 45 minutes. I also cut up celery, green and red pepper, and carrots to go with the Garbanzo dip. It feels so good to have food ready to go!
moonlight

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning