Patty's cooking journal...

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Patty's cooking journal...

Postby patty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:32 am

I have decided I would create a on going recipe journal of the things I will like to remake. I love to try new recipes and the ones members post, and this is where I can keep track of them vs. always going back doing a search. At first I posted in the food and recipes.. then noticed this forum, and it feels like it is more appropriate.

5-minute pineapple pie for one..

Ok, I made the 3-minute blueberry pie for one, with the tortilla that Dougalling posted in the food and recipe forum viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42625 The problem I had was I used a no fat/flour tortilla and it was pretty chewy. So I thought why not make a oat pie crust in a small Pyrex dish. So I measured out four tablespoons of oat flour that I ground, added a tablespoon of palm sugar, and small amount of baking powder, added enough water to make a dough and pressed it to the bottom of the Pyrex dish. Then I took some fresh pineapple and chopped it up in the blender. I didn't add any sugar as pineapple when cooked sweetens. I microwaved it for five minutes. It turned out great, the oat crust tasted like a cookie crust as it was not super thin as a

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55119

FYI - for no cashew "cheeze" use yellow lentils instead

Post by morenrgy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:41 am

1/2 cup yellow lentils/ moong dal
1 to 2 cups of water
1 clove garlic, shredded
3 T of Nurtritional Yeast
1/4 t of salt

Begin with 1 cup of water and the shredded garlic clove, and Bring to slow boil - add water as necessary until the lentils are soft and cooked. Should be thickened up a little, not watery. Usually about 30 minutes at a slow boil. Then add the Nutrititonal Yeast and the small amount of salt.

Cook the potatoes and onions and carrot:

2-3 small potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 small red onion diced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced (omit the carrot if you want a white sauce)

Bring all to boil for 20 minutes, until cooked.

Blend.

I love this cheese.. tonight i made it for the third time. I ground the red/orange lentils into a powder with the garlic then added the rest of the cooked ingredients with the water and added a chipotle pepper in adobe sauce and heated. The ground lentil flour makes it a cheese you can slice. I am a real cheese addict and feel I have found my faux cheese. Mahalo morenergy!

This week I have made for the third week.. Susan's Fatfree Vegan Simple - Instant Pot Black Bean Soup

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2017/03/si ... -soup.html

I soaked a bag of black beans overnight. I cooked them in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes, then added the corn and salsa. I had purchased some local made salsa and that was all the seasoning I used.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
patty

Re: Patty's cooking journal...

Postby anne57 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 am

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby Vegankit » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:46 pm

anne57 wrote:Hi Patty,

What a great idea :-D ! I'm looking forward to your posts. Thanks for sharing what I'm sure will be a great recipe go-to!

Best wishes,

Anne
I do too - you're always a wonderful inspiration.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby patty » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:00 pm

Mahalo to you both!!!

My daughter's mother in-law, who has AL, has been having mini strokes. She has bounced back really well, probably from the AL. The Clients that I have had that have AL are amazing as they are no longer bogged down by beliefs, if someone in the family has a cold they don't seem to catch it. In sharing to my daughter that her mother in-law will be happy with whatever she feeds her, it is time to make sure she eats healthy. One of my Client's had a box of Diamond Saloon Pilot Crackers. When marketing I found they also had a low-sodium, where one serving is 100 less. I purchased both. I love them with the faux cheese and Dijon mustard. Eating a couple of them with the cheese make a easy meal as just by themselves the satiety is still there if I want to grab something to eat. I of course have Wasa crackers, but sometimes I crave white flour.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:28 pm

I still have about 2 or 3 servings of Fatfree Vegan Black Bean soup. I really like this and it is so easy to make. Time to soak more beans for another type of soup

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:09 pm

These are a favorite. Microwave 5 minutes, finish up in a heated panini. Love easy to eat food that provide satiety.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:19 pm

I made these last week. I was ravenous for potatoes. These were easier then making fries or microwave potato chips. I put two new gold potatoes with skin on into the food processor on #2 and one on #3 for slicing. Then air fried for approximately 30 minutes. They were good:) Will do again. The sliced potatoes stick together. I might try next time putting them into Happy Tummy's BBQ sauce and separating. i like the size of slicing.. #1 is too thin, so it is between #2 and #3. I really couldn't tell which was which.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Tonight I made a potato bowl. I used fresh spinach, tomato, red onion, whole cumin seed, pineapple and mini potatoes. I microwaved the potatoes then put them into a hot panini, when slightly crusted, sliced to add to bowl. The dressing was apple cider vinegar, soy milk, dijon mustard, lemon and I think that was is. I had a couple of saloon pilot crackers with it

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Tue May 02, 2017 4:43 pm

This morning before work.. I made some more faux cheese. This time I used the orange lentils, a sweet potato.. the red/orange, a roasted red pepper (comes in a jar), chipolte pepper in adobe sauce, red onion, carrot, garlic powder and cumin seeds. i forgot the nutritional yeast) Didn't matter still tastes like cheese. This time i didn't let it cook long enough to let it really solidify.. but it still can be sliced but spread too. Too funny about the yeast:) Who would have thought it wouldn't be missed. I really liked the changes.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Thu May 04, 2017 4:28 pm

For lunch I had a Ruben sandwich. Oroweat rye bread, sauerkraut, faux cheese and toasted on a a George Foreman Grill and Broil.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Fri May 05, 2017 12:43 pm

I used a recipe from "Robin Robertson's Vegan Without Borders: Easy Everyday Meals from Around the World' for Seitan. it is pretty close to this recipe online with the addition of tapioca flour: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/238521/bas ... ubstitute/ Of course I omitted the oil. I was amazed how easy it was. I imagine the tapioca flour creates the extra stretch. I was a little shy about using the low sodium soy sauce and a vegetarian vegetable broth vs. homemade as I cook with no salt. i had a stir fry from our local health food store's buffet with red peppers, onions and the seitan cut like steak. I was amazed how it tasted like steak. On the ingredients list they had mock beef. If I remember correctly it is a substitute to veg. broth.

I still have to cook the black beans that have been soaking overnight. I love Susan's Fatfree Easy Instant PotBlack Bean Soup http://fatfreevegan.com/ When I find something I like for some reason I stay with it for awhile.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Fri May 05, 2017 1:25 pm

I tried this recipe with my VitaMix, 1 1/2 cup of frozen 3 berries, palm sugar, chia seeds and water. The jam turned out good. Interesting what the article had say about chi seeds.

https://www.blenderbabes.com/lifestyle- ... berry-jam/ oops link no longer for jam.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri May 05, 2017 3:12 pm

patty wrote:I tried this recipe with my VitaMix, 1 1/2 cup of frozen 3 berries, palm sugar, chia seeds and water. The jam turned out good. Interesting what the article had say about chi seeds.

https://www.blenderbabes.com/lifestyle- ... berry-jam/ oops link no longer for jam.

Aloha, patty

I like using chia gel (water thickened with chia seeds) as an oil substitute in salad dressings. Other than that, I don't use chia seeds much.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby patty » Sat May 06, 2017 12:41 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:
patty wrote:I tried this recipe with my VitaMix, 1 1/2 cup of frozen 3 berries, palm sugar, chia seeds and water. The jam turned out good. Interesting what the article had say about chi seeds.

Aloha, patty

I like using chia gel (water thickened with chia seeds) as an oil substitute in salad dressings. Other than that, I don't use chia seeds much.

That sound's like a great idea.. I too haven't really used them other than the jam. And it does sound like a great idea to use with a salad dressing. I made a dressing with apple cider vinegar, vanilla soy milk, water, djon mustard, and garlic. The chia would work. i was surprised how the apple cider vinegar really made a difference. In the faux cheese I put in cumin seeds and I was surprised how well the whole seed works. I imagine other whole seeds work wold work too.

Yesterday I made the vital wheat gluten, and used "Robin Robertson's Vegan World Without Boarders", and if I remember correctly you recommended it.. so grateful. I remember I gifted the book to my daughter too. The recipe made it so easy. Last night I had a sandwich with a slice/faux cheese/pickle (next time will use cucumber for the crunch, on a 1/2 slice of bread. It is mind blowing to put wheat on wheat.it was delicious and a simple solution to a very complex issue of not eating animal products and doing so turning empirical world back to the reality of the non-empirical. I so appreciate You!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Mon May 08, 2017 12:20 pm

I finally made the sir fry with peppers, green beans, onions and the vital wheat gluten. I think I over cooked the veggies, but the vital wheat gluten worked really well. I have to try marinating it. And it is a great alternative to tofu. Ate with brown rice. Tasted really good cold the next day without rice.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals