Patty's cooking journal...

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Patty's cooking journal...

Postby patty » Fri May 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Someone on facebook made meatball sliders in the air Fryer with no oil. They used this recipe:
http://chefchloe.com/recipes/entrees/me ... iders.html They look really tasty

Chef Chole
Meatball Sliders
INGREDIENTS
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1½ cups cooked brown rice, cooled
• ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
• ¼ cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 1½ teaspoons sea salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
• Canola oil for frying
• Slider buns or dinner rolls
• 1 cup tomato sauce, heated
• Classic Pesto Sauce
• Fresh basil leaves for assembly
PROCEDURE
For the meatballs:
Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and cook onion and mushrooms until soft and lightly browned. Add garlic and cook a few more minutes. Transfer to a food processor. Reserve skillet for later use.
Add cooled brown rice, bread crumbs, flour, basil, salt, pepper, and red pepper, if using, to the food processor. Pulse until the mixture just comes together. If necessary, transfer the mixture to a large bowl and mix with your hands. Season to taste and let cool slightly. Form the mixture into 1- or 2-inch balls to fit your bun size. Heat canola oil in the reserved nonstick skillet over mediumhigh heat, and panfry meatballs in batches, adding more oil as needed.
Slice slider buns in half and brush the insides with olive oil. Toast in a sauté pan over medium heat until lightly browned on the edges. Layer a spoonful of tomato sauce, a meatball, a spoonful of pesto sauce, and a basil leaf in each slider bun. Stick each slider with a party pick to hold it together. Serve immediately.

The meatball sliders turned out really great. I like eating them by themselves and cold.. I added sriracha to ingredients and subsituted crackers for the bread. Will make again.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Thu May 18, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Thu May 18, 2017 10:32 pm

The Vacu Vin Pickler works great. And I am grateful I got two. The size is perfect. This morning I used the vacu vin: 1/2 sliced red onion, and sliced Japanese cucumber, apple cider vinegar, sugar and soy sauce. Pumped the air out. Then in the other: sliced setian, soy sauce, sugar, water and sriracha sauce. Pumped the air out. Then this evening I microwaved some brown rice and the veggies and setain.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Sun May 21, 2017 9:07 pm

I began wondering if ground lentils can replace nuts or soy in cheeses, then what about making a cheese cake. In Vegan Richa's Inddian Kitchen cookbook I saw this recipe for Malai Peda, online the recipe is here: https://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/ ... ream-fudge

Malai Peda

Prep: 10 minutes (+ 4 hour soak) | Active: 15 minutes | Inactive: 15 minutes | Makes 10 or more

Malai Peda is a melt-in-the-mouth sweet usually made of condensed milk and milk powder, and a flavor such as saffron. This version has cashew cream, oat flour, white flour, and sugar.

Ingredients

½ cup Cashews , soaked 4 hours or overnight and drained I used 1/2 cup orange lentils/ground in blender
2 tbsp To 4 tablespoons Almond Milk I added water
1/8 teaspoon Salt
¼ cup Sugar
½ tsp Saffron (6 to 8 strands)
1 tsp vegan butter or Oil [b] I omitted[/b]

2 drop Lemon Juice
1 drop Vanilla Extract
3/10 cup To 1/2 cup ground Oats or oat flour
1 tbsp To 2 tablespoon white (all-purpose) Flour or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tbsp To 2 tablespoons ground or Confectioners Sugar I omitted
Almonds or pistachio slivers, for garnish [b]I omitted[/b]

Step 1

Blend the cashews with 2 tablespoons of almond milk into a smooth thick cashew cream. Use more almond milk or 1/2 cup thick cashew cream, only if needed, to blend. Add the salt, sugar, and saffron and blend again until smooth.

I ground the red/orange lentils, added the water + sugar/saffron blended.

Step 2

Transfer the cashew cream to a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the butter and cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens to a custard, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir frequently so the mixture does not get lumpy. Let it cool completely. Then chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.

I heated in vita mix blender, placed in bowl, didn't refrigerate

Step 3

Stir in the lemon juice and vanilla extract. Add 1/3 cup oat flour, 1 tablespoon at a time and mix in. Stir in the flour. The mixture should become a sticky soft dough. Taste and add confectioners’ sugar if needed.

I added the lemon juice and vanilla extract, the 1/3 cup oat flour slowly, mixture become sticky soft dough, I didn't add sugar for the faux ice cream I would skip the oat flour and add frozen bananas

Step 4

Apply oil to your hands, take 1 tablespoon of the mixture and shape into flat discs. Press pistachio or almond slivers on top. Or dust the pedas in confectioners’ sugar. Store on the counter for the day or refrigerated for up to a week.

I used a melon scooper and baked (freeze for the faux ice cream).

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
patty

Postby patty » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Update the Chuck's BrandNew Vegan canned corn butter works great over potatoes. Canned corn also made a good basil and Chinese parsley pesto sauce.

I have been making Jeff Novic's veggie burgers as a loaf to slice like meat loaf.

I pressured cooked some peeled russet potatoes 15 minutes , soaked in soy sauce, brown sugar, maple syrup and water. Cooked too soft as intent to crisp air fryer.

This morning I made microwaved canned pumpkin oatmeal squares. I added cherry juice, cranberry raisins, and ginger. Turned out great. Normally I use bananas.. but my source has made her transition... she always had bananas and sweet potatoes for me. I am so blessed with the memories of her.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:53 pm

I pressured cooked some peeled russets for 15 minutes, in soy sauce, sugar, maple syrup, water. I was trying to duplicate Korean style potatoes, they have a outer baked surface like french fries. I then put them into the air fryer less 10 minutes, they turned out close to the Korean style potatoes. The Korean style potatoes color is golden.. these not so much.. tasted close.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:08 am

I don't know why, but I haven't made tortilla chips for awhile. I had forgotten how great they taste cooked in the Air Fryer. I used flour tortilla's.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:24 am

No Fat Tarragon Dressing Using Agar Agra...
http://seaweedrecipes.co.nz/no-fat-tarr ... sing-agar/

I am thinking of making the above recipe, only substitute with Chinese Parsley/and fennel seeds. I have to search more for other dressing that would work with the agar agar. I am making cherry agar agar jelly so I would try a salad dressing. I finally found some Farro seeds.. for salad.

Aloha, patty

Update: I used 2 80% peeled zucchini, 1 80% peeled cucumber, 1 cup or more apple cider vinegar, fennel seeds, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, can of reduced salt white beans, blended and added heated water with 1 small packet of agar agar (1/2 + teaspoon).
patty

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals