Affirmation needed for simple, family-friendly meal plan :)

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Affirmation needed for simple, family-friendly meal plan :)

Postby Scooter1411 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:08 am

I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with all of the possibilities for meals. I need something that is quick and easy, since I don't enjoy cooking and I have two little ones to care for. I'm just thinking out loud here and I need some affirmation. To keep it simple, I'm thinking of having a McDougall-approved cereal in the morning, followed by an apple for a snack. For lunch, I've been eating two hard shell corn tortillas (but I feel like they are the wrong ones because they contain 6 g of fat and soybean oil :-( ) filled with shredded Brussels sprouts, baby butter beans, chili beans and nooch, roasted in the oven til warm. I'm thinking that I will rotate a week of tacos followed by a week of another lunch food, which I have yet to discover/determine. Now I need to figure out an afternoon snack and then I was thinking that I could make basic, family-friendly recipes for supper, such as the baked shepherd's pie and always add a salad with either lunch or supper, or both.

Here are my main questions/concerns:
--Can I buy McDougall-approved flat corn tortillas and bake them to achieve a "hard taco" product?
--I am SUPER picky and was hoping to jump head first into this, but as I get closer to starting the program, I am more scared! I have major texture issues, especially with foods like bananas, tomatoes and squash. The only fruit I truly enjoy is an apple and I don't even like carrots! Eek! Did anyone else have these food/texture/picky issues when they started? Will I grow to love and enjoy these foods that seem scary and exotic?
--I have about 50-60 lbs to lose

I also need to search for ideas for salad toppings that would replace what I currently love--Caesar dressing, croutons and pecans!
Scooter1411

Re: Affirmation needed for simple, family-friendly meal plan

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:54 am

Scooter1411 wrote:I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with all of the possibilities for meals. I need something that is quick and easy

Get the Quick and Easy Cookbook! It's one of my favorites. Find some dishes that sound familiar, dial in the seasoning and make them often. You don't need a huge variety, you do need adherence. Find the dishes that you already like, and make them compliant. For myself, I grew up surrounded by Latin American and Asian cultures. So those are the dishes I make most often. They are very easy to make compliant. Sometimes I follow a recipe, often I just make it up. When I'm feeling adventurous, I might experiment with an exotic ingredient or two, but usually don't.
For lunch, I've been eating two hard shell corn tortillas (but I feel like they are the wrong ones because they contain 6 g of fat and soybean oil :-( )

NO OIL!
--Can I buy McDougall-approved flat corn tortillas and bake them to achieve a "hard taco" product?

Absolutely. Just bake them in the oven.
Did anyone else have these food/texture/picky issues when they started? Will I grow to love and enjoy these foods that seem scary and exotic?

I have found myself eating a lot of things that I never used to that were unfamiliar. But I'm pretty adventurous. I like trying new things.

I also need to search for ideas for salad toppings that would replace what I currently love--Caesar dressing, croutons and pecans!

Salad dressings are tough. There are few bottled no oil dressings available any more. It's best to make your own. There are recipes in all of Mary's cookbooks, a recent newsletter, and numerous threads here. I'm not much of a salad eater, too much work, too little reward. I prefer to get my veggies in the main dish. But I often drizzle Bragg;s and cider vinegar along with Bragg's seasoning blend. It approximates their bottled dressing. Fresh squeezed lemon juice with s&p is good as well, as is salsa.

All you need is a few dishes that are easy and fun and make them often. You branch out whenever you feel like it.
vgpedlr

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning