Can you recommend some good books?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can you recommend some good books?

Postby Gweithgar » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:15 pm

I want and need to get back into gardening, but previous attempts have mostly been laughable/tragic. I have a small yard and very poor sandy soil, so I'm thinking that containers and raised beds with bought-in soil would be the way to go. I would also like to rig some kind of drip irrigation so plants do not shrivle up in the summer heat. I would appreciate any advice, book recommendations, or ideas that have worked well for you. Please share your successful techniques.
Thanks!!
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Re: Can you recommend some good books?

Postby PeripateticDanielle » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:43 am

I had much success in the past with the "Lasagna gardening" technique. It's basically hay and straw and compost layered together to create a raised bed, which slowly decomposes and enriches the soil of your yard. It's pretty amazing. You can Google it or get the book at your local library. I was amazed at how well my plants (tomatoes, peppers, green beans, basil, more tomatoes, a few more tomatoes) did in the hard-packed-soil-with-temps-up-into-the-100's of Southern Cali. Best part? NO DIGGING.

Lasagna Gardening by Patricia Lanza http://books.google.com/books/about/Las ... h2ggDzMSgC
PeripateticDanielle

Postby Dougalling » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:54 am

youtube.com

It is not a book but you can see what creative people are doing in their gardens.
Dougalling

Postby LindaH » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:39 am

Google straw bale gardening.
LindaH
LindaH

Postby sjsilver » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:28 pm

I tried some lasagna gardening 3 or 4 years back. It works really well if you have enough stuff to make the layers. The best part is that when weeds pop up, they are so easy to pull. And you don't require as much water. I still use this technique in the fall, around my herb garden. Almost everything breaks down over the winter and the ground is much easier to work in the spring. Plus it attracts the worms.
sjsilver

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning