I want snacks!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I want snacks!

Postby diali36 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:12 am

What to eat at night while watching TV or relaxing. I used to eat chips, ice cream, cookies, popcorn etc. Haven't done that for a while now. I've tried rice cakes, apples, cereal.
Help!
diali36

Re: I want snacks!

Postby MixedGrains » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:23 am

I have a few things that I use. Not all of these are perfect and some of them I can see in my blood sugar the next morning.

Pita chips:

There's at least one brand of 100% whole wheat, no-added-oil pita bread out there. I take two whole pita breads (the complete rounds) and cut them into eighths. Spread them on a baking pan, paint them with a flavorful vinegar to moisten the top surface, scatter lightly with sea salt and caraway seeds. Bake at about 375 for 15-25 minutes depending on how crunchy you want.

Popcorn:

Microwave or air pop without oil. Get the Braggs Aminos in the little pump spritzer and spritz the popcorn very lightly. Then sprinkle with nutritional yeast and/or salt to taste. (The Braggs adds salt and umami flavor, but more importantly it makes the popcorn sticky enough for your popcorn flavoring powders to stick to the kernals. I'm told you can spritz very lightly with plain water for the same effect.)

Rye crackers with mustard/tomato:

There are several brands of whole rye crackers out there, containing just rye, water, and salt for ingredients. I'll put several on a plate, top with a brown/spicy mustard, and then top with thinly sliced tomatoes, as fresh and sweet as I can get. Sliced sweet onions also works if you like raw onion flavors.

Bhelpuri

This is a puffed rice snack I posted about last week.
MixedGrains

Postby diali36 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:40 pm

thank you for your ideas, I like the one with the crackers and toppings, going to try that .
diali36

Postby schermel » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:07 am

Fingerling potatos
schermel

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:34 pm

What wrong with popcorn? Just don't slather it with butter and lay off the salt and you can still eat it.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gweithgar » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:26 am

My problem is that I "want snacks" too, and those evening snacks were undermining all the gains (losses!) I might have made during the day. So my current "snack" is learning to knit Fair Isle patterns. This is challenging enough to intrigue me, keep my fingers busy, and put an end to the "hand to mouth disease" of snacking. And I end up with some really awesome caps and mittens. :lol:
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby diali36 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:34 pm

great ideas everyone thanks
diali36

Postby cyd » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:49 pm

Gweithgar wrote: So my current "snack" is learning to knit Fair Isle patterns. This is challenging enough to intrigue me, keep my fingers busy, and put an end to the "hand to mouth disease" of snacking.

Hi,

What a fabulously inspiring idea, Gweithgar. There is definitely a distinction between busywork and something that genuinely intrigues us. Great tip!

Thanks for posting that.
cyd
cyd

Postby Chris_Alice » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:01 pm

Crispy Roasted Chickpeas! Yum!

I follow this recipe here http://steamykitchen.com/10725-crispy-r ... beans.html but I use only a tiny bit of olive oil with a spray bottle (not the 2 or so tbsp in the recipe). If you don't want to use any oil at all, leave it out. The spice blend I use is usually a Tex-Mex blend.
Chris_Alice

Postby mizelle » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:44 pm

I love breaky cereals for a snack - theres lost of nice wholegrain ones sweetened with maple syrup or fruit juice. We have a nice oat cluster cereal that is sweetened with fruit juice which is yummy! Even non sweetened ones are good!
mizelle

Postby Starchavore » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:24 am

Kale chips
Starch. It's what's for dinner.
Starch. The other white meat.
Starchavore

Postby tornadoalley » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:14 am

I know that quaker rice cakes has a flavor that is great . barbque. or use the rice cakes and put some simply fruit on it.
tornadoalley

Postby Dougalling » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:04 am

Wholegrain Ryvita with applesauce and pumpkin spice.
Salsa and chips you make from corn tortillas.
Salsa and refried beans with corn tortilla chips. (Casa Fiesta no fat refried black beans)
Baked potato with salsa.
Nuts and seeds mix.
Dates.
Popcorn, sprinkle garlic powder on it.
Hummus and corn tortilla chips.
Dougalling

Postby Dougalling » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:19 am

Wholegrain Ryvita with applesauce and pumpkin spice.
Salsa and chips you make from corn tortillas.
Salsa and refried beans with corn tortilla chips. (Casa Fiesta no fat refried black beans)
Baked potato with salsa.
Nuts and seeds mix.
Dates.
Popcorn, sprinkle garlic powder on it.
Hummus and corn tortilla chips.
Celery with hummus or nut butter.
Dougalling

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:36 pm

My thoughts are to eat a bigger dinner. More starches with vegetables and some fruit. :)
Drew_ab

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning