I want snacks!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I want snacks!

Postby canadamike » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Drew_ab wrote:My thoughts are to eat a bigger dinner. More starches with vegetables and some fruit. :)

Exactly! If you are needing snacks, then you didn't eat enough.
canadamike

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:51 pm

I agree that maybe increasing the meal size. I normally don't need snacks unless I eat too processed or not enough.

That being said, often on weekends, I skip lunch and get hungry before dinner. I love steamed tiny taters or cooked chickpeas to snack on. A couple tiny taters sticks with me a long time too. I also love steamed asparagus.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby brendarowe » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:52 pm

I went through the I want snacks thing a couple of weeks ago. I was eating unsalted pretzels. But I stopped buying them I am going to try not eating snacks right now. And see if I can break that habit. I need to loose weight so no snacks for me.
brendarowe

Postby Dougalling » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:13 am

Mindless eating in front of the tv is a bad habit.
If you are hungry, have a meal.
If you want a snack, have a portioned snack.
If you need to do something with your hands while watching tv, get some paper and a pen and start doodling.

Check out Dr McDougall's canned and processed foods lists for snacks you can buy.
I like tortilla chips with salsa or hummus.
Toasted light rye/sourdough bread with hummus.
Celery sticks and tahini.
Zuchinni sticks.
Dougalling

Postby mapat » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:39 am

I don't watch much tv, but I usually read a lot every evening, and yes, somewhat 'mindless eating', rather than hunger, or for myself, more of a sensory issue. Anyway, I have my really big tossed salad, with lots of fresh, raw veggies, for this late evening 'snack' (and eat it slowly so it lasts a while), every day. Also helps with 'regularity' and perhaps sort of 'cleaning out the system' at the end of the day :-D
mapat

Postby Granolamom » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:22 pm

I've been struggling with this too! I'm more of a sweets after dinner person so I've been eating a bowl of grape nuts with a little sugar. Not the best option but it has seemed to do the trick. I've also tried decaf tea with an almond milk flavored creamer.
Granolamom

Postby Veganjo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Try some raisins or prunes for a sweet snack.
Veganjo

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning