Where to eat while traveling

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Where to eat while traveling - Need NC suggestions

Postby talkingmountain » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:58 am

Hope ya'll don't mind me tacking on to this thread.

I've got a three-day trip to NC coming up:
- Day One in Hickory with SAD colleagues who have decided we are eating at Red Lobster (ugh)
- Day Two in a tiny town called Kannapolis, on my own but I'll be working like crazy and probably no time to eat out (there is one veg-friendly restaurant listed on HappyCow but they are only open for lunch).
- Day Three taking a bunch of kids to an amusement park in Charlotte called Carowinds, which does not permit you to bring in food.

I'm staying in a hotel that claims to have a microwave and minifridge in the room, but I don't have a way to bring perishable food with me, other than what I can pack in a lunch bag for the first day (sorry, if they can't handle me eating my own food at Red Lobster, I'll eat in the car :D ).

There's no Whole Foods in the area, just an EarthFare and if they are like the others I've visited, EVERYthing is cooked with "heart healthy olive oil :duh: ).

Anybody familiar with the area have suggestions?
talkingmountain

Re: Where to eat while traveling

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:41 am

subway is always one of my backups if I don't find anything else. Almost all towns have a Subway.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby sadonathan8839 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:12 pm

Hot water is available at every gas station or fast food place. Instant rice would be great. Or what about one of those converters that would turn the cigarette outlet into a plug and then using a rice cooker or one pot burner for canned beans, corn, grains etc. While it is simple sugar fruit can be great.
sadonathan8839

Postby Dougalling » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:51 am

The grocery store. Pick up fruits, bell peppers, zuchinni, cucumbers, baby spinach, fatfree dressing, etc
Dougalling

Postby Jumpstart » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:54 am

Taco Bell has soybean oil as well as other oils in their bean stuff. Chipotle has the same problem with oils in their beans as well as their rice items. It's easy to stay vegan on the road but the no oils thing gets really difficult. Having fruit on the road seems the safe bet and doesn't require knifes, forks, salad spinners, bowls, various dressings and then you have the problem of washing all that stuff after a meal.
Jumpstart

Postby LindaH » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:01 am

ncyg46 wrote:lol...make sure you visit the used bookstore in Quartzsite Arizona! The owner is a suprise! lol! :D

Yea, Paul's a hoot (but he knows his books and knows exactly where each book is in his store)! However, it doesn't sound like the OP will be going that far south in Arizona. From the description of their route, it sounds like they'll be taking I-40 across country.
LindaH
LindaH

Postby LindaH » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:04 am

sadonathan8839 wrote:Or what about one of those converters that would turn the cigarette outlet into a plug and then using a rice cooker or one pot burner for canned beans, corn, grains etc.

One could give it a try, of course. However, I suspect that a rice cooker or any type of appliance that creates heat, would pull too much power for a cigarette lighter 12-volt outlet.
LindaH
LindaH

Postby graciezoe » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:56 am

Go to the local Whole Foods store. I've gotten from their food bar, brown rice, beans, chopped tomatoes and corn and mix it together with greens. They list all the ingredients to each item so you can pick the items with no added oils, etc. I also think the suggestion to bring a Coleman stove and using campgrounds is a good one. I've camped up to a month at a time and have found you can cook a good variety of foods.
A HCLF Vegan.
Cardio Goal: 650 minutes a week on treadclimber and Bowflex Max 5 plus, weekend hikes.

Starting weight on 3/2014 was 304 lbs
Weight as of 4/2016 is 114 lbs
graciezoe

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:06 pm

My husband and I just returned from a trip from CA through NV and Idaho to MT, where I visited carnivorous relatives. We brought a cooler and a couple bags of stuff on the theory that we might fine nothing compliant to eat. We stayed at a nondescript Best Western hotel in Idaho Falls, where they had oatmeal and soy milk, as well as some whole wheat bread for toast, and some fruit. We had a load of fresh strawberries, blueberries and blackberries with us, and there was a fridge in the room, so that was good enough. We also stayed at a La Quinta in Great Falls, MT, where they had oatmeal, but no non-dairy milk, and some whole wheat bread. We also brought some compliant dry cereal (Ezekiel, which I like) and some fresh produce, that we stir "fried" at my cousin's house for dinner using some soy sauce and a bit of wine. Leftovers are good made into a tofu scramble in the morning. Bring boxed tofu that doesn't need refrigeration, some nutritional yeast and some turmeric.

When we went out in Montana, we did not go to any chains (I hate chains). We went to the Sip 'N Dip in Great Falls for lunch and had a pretty good vegan bean burger, and I can't recall the name of the restaurant we went to in Dillon, but it had a garage theme (as in there were actual trucks and cars inside the place), and they had a vegan burger and also a few pretty good salads, as well as plain baked potatoes for sides.

In addition to Happy Cow, you might get the Vanilla Bean app. Also, before you go, join a vegan Facebook group for the area you plan to visit. The Montana Vegas were very nice and helpful, and had restaurants listed for many towns.
Vanilla Orchid

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning