Salad dressing ideas

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby minirunner » Tue May 12, 2009 12:43 pm

These are recipes I use, some have a little bit of nuts in them. Hopefully you can find a couple you like. If you want to thicken them a little, use 1/2 c. peeled, chopped zucchini to thicken, it works great!!!

Lemon Flax Dressing

Don’t be fooled by the name, this is delectable!!

2 c. thick, unsweetened cashew milk or almond milk
1 c. tamari or soy sauce
1 c. maple syrup
¼ c. flax seeds
1 whole lemon (yep, peel and all) chopped
3 cloves garlic
Dash ginger

Blend in a high speed blender until creamy.

Cream of lemon basil dressing

1 c. fresh lemon juice
½ c. unsweetened cashew milk or almond milk
1/3 c. fresh basil leaves
1/2 c. agave nectar
2 Tb. maple syrup
4 cloves garlic

Blend all ingredients in high speed blender until creamy.

Creamy Orange Licorice Dressing

1 ½ c. fresh orange juice
1 c. unsweetened cashew milk or almond milk
¼ c. Bragg’s apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
¼ c. agave nectar
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp. anise seed
Dash salt

Blend ingredients in a high speed blender until creamy.

Balsamic Vinaigrette

2/3 c. water
1/2 c. pecans
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
2 Tb. maple syrup
1 date
1 1/2 Tb. Tamari
1 Tb. stoneground mustard
1 clove garlic
Blend until creamy.

Lemon Maple Tahini Dressing
1 c. water
1/2 c. tahini
3 Tb. tamari
3 Tb. lemon juice
1 Tb. light miso
2 Tb. maple syrup
2 honey dates
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp. ginger
dash red pepper flakes

Creamy Dijon Dressing

2/3 c. water
1/4 c. cashews
1/2 c. peeled, chopped zucchini
1 Tb. lime juice
1 1/2 Tb. lemon juice
1 Tb. stoneground mustard
1 clove garlic
1 Tb. green onion
2 dates
1/2 Tb. flax oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. salt
Blend all ingredients until creamy.
minirunner

Re: Salad dressing ideas

Postby suesara47 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:00 pm

I joined a Dean Ornish support group after my heart attack and they shared meals together. I was asked to bring a salad. Everyone LOVED the salad and asked me how I did it. Dressing was cherry tomatoes cut into 4ths! released a lot of juice, then two lemons and two limes. I'll have to admit that it was good. I also have to admit that I added some feta cheese and advocado to mixed greens, but I really think just the tomatoes, lemon and limes were enough.
suesara47

Postby cecac » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:21 am

Sorry if I repeat....

Braggs and dijon mustard

Fresh ginger, soy sauce, and dijon mustard

To taste, or perhaps put some water in if you need to cut them before you pour them on your salad. The thing is, though, I have noticed it needs to be a little tangy to have enough taste once it goes on the salad, for oil free salad dressings can tend toward too mild.
cecac

Postby Daffodil » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:08 pm

I like to squeeze a lime over my salad, sometimes both lemon and lime. When I want some salty taste, I add some braggs low sodium soy sauce. (liquid aminos to some of you,but it's still soy sauce)
Daffodil

Postby Cobalt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:46 pm

I have a Valencia orange tree and squeeze 1/2 very tree-ripened orange over my large salad every evening. I use a glass hand juicer and wipe the pulp into the salad as well.

It was not that long ago I never could have imagined I'd find it so tasty and satisfying. I even made a gluten-free lunch for a new-to-gluten-free, non-vegan friend and served my orange juice as the salad dressing. She loved it.
Cobalt

Postby nordgirl » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks to everyone who posted such wonderful dressing recipes in this thread, I've been trying to wean myself off of olive oil and my salads have suffered for it, but not anymore. I can't wait to try these out.
My type 2 diabetic husband and I have lost a total of 65 pounds thanks to Dr. McDougall. I'm cooking for a household of 7 McDougallers, and enjoying good health and a renewed sense of well being.
- Lisa P.
nordgirl

Postby shivaun » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:47 pm

I'm like nomikins in that I will now often eat salads without dressing. This is easiest for me if I use romaine lettuce as to me it is almost sweet and has a very mild flavor. When eating other salad greens I am more likely to feel as if they needs to have dressing in order to make them palatable.
shivaun

Postby ruti46 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:43 am

My husband and I like to use the juice from a jar of jalapenos as a salad dressing. He does the Furhman diet and has lost 45 lbs. I am doing the Mcdougall as I just can't make it without the starch. The hardest thing for me was giving up the olive oil. I used it in everything. Cooking without oil is a challenge but you have to be creative.
ruti46

Postby parksjul » Tue May 24, 2016 4:43 pm

I've been trying various dressings, but until I find a go to easy favorite, this is what I've come up with. I usually only make it for me, but a few others who have tried it, liked it, unless they were just being nice! Here it is:

i 15 oz can of drained garbanzo beans into the blender.
Cover with equal parts vinegar (I like rice vinegar, but have used balsamic and others) and
organic apple juice (I've used the juice of a couple oranges when I've had them).

I probably use 1/2 to 1 cup of each, enough to cover the beans and then some, depending on how thick you want it.

Blend until creamy. I then pour it into 3 glass pint jars, and keep in the fridge, and just shake before using. Lasts a good week of salads.

Adjust your ratio, depending on how sweet you want it.
parksjul

Postby Snow White » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:43 am

I really like to use only lemon or lime juice and then add a lot of spices to the salad, but if you want to try

something sweet
Blend together fresh orange juice and strawberries. I did this once and it tasted good. :)

something not totally fat free
Blend together cucumber and some pistachios. I LOVE this one but haven't done it again since I do the Starch Solution.
Snow White

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning