How much to eat?!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How much to eat?!

Postby LaraJ2 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:49 pm

I'm female. 5'1. 118 pounds. Aged 17. My bmr is 1385 cals. :-)
I have no idea how many calories to eat for health & weight loss! :shock:
I know John said to eat until full but I had binge eating disorder for 3 months so my stomach been stretched a lot.

Thanks
LaraJ2

Re: How much to eat?!

Postby PotatoBrain » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:30 pm

I did low carb (unsuccessfully) for so long that I have the same problem you have. I don't trust my apestat yet and feel I need some calorie accountability at first. I know I could eat a whole rotisserie chicken in one sitting on Atkins and still feel hungry. Also, it is very possible to gain weight when in ketosis because calories do count and fat is high in calories. I found that out the hard way so I'm very reluctant to just eat until satisfied cuz that sure didn't work for me on low carb!

So I need a safety net and am doing weight watchers. Don't go to meetings and am no longer a member. I input fat, carb, fiber, protein totals from free myfitnesspal program at the end of the day on a little calculator I bought WW meeting at the end of day. Plus there are all kinds of free WW calculators on the web. Trouble with WW is unless you have ever been a member, it seems complicated and confusing.

However, the free program myfitnesspal will give you the calorie suggestion when you set it up with your age, height and weight and tell it how much weight you want to lose per week.

I will say this. I could NEVER stay within my weight watcher points before on any other plan so watching my points (calories) is convincing me that I don't have to feel hungry to lose weight. The food tastes good but is not addictive on this plan.
PotatoBrain

Postby DeborahAnn » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:20 pm

Half your plate veggies, half your plate starches, no added fats. Knock yourselves out! You should be able to eat all you want if you do this. It is certainly working for me and I am much older than you young ladies. If you find you need more calories as are losing too swiftly, experiment with a little humus in your diet, or some avocado or a few nuts.
DeborahAnn

Postby roundcoconut » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:26 pm

I would say, fill your plate as prescribed -- half veg, half starch. Give yourself an ample portion, as judged by your eyeballs, not your binge tendencies. Then, when done, brush your teeth and leave the kitchen till the next scheduled meal.

If you are like lots of binge eaters, you are capable of thinking 40 minutes after lunch, "I could really go for four more potatoes" or "I'm gonna eat a few tangerines now." Don't listen -- that's your inner psycho wanting to spiral into an overeating episode!

So, plan how many meals you will have, and do not adjust on the fly. If you decide that after a week, you'd like to change your plan of eating (say, by scheduling yourself for first meal between 10am and 11am, instead of 11am to 12noon) then that is fine! But be sure you make decisions with a cool head, well before or after a meal -- NOT when your psycho is in charge.

Establish some meals you like -- and eat them over and over again.

Watch a buncha Chef AJ videos. She is lovely.

Listen to a buncha Susan Pierce Thompson videos -- she gets binge eating tendencies -- not many people in the plant-based community do.

It is never "eat all you want, as often as you want", especially in our situation. I totally get the tendencies to binge eat, and have gone probably a year or so, between having these tendencies and behaviors. So peace with food is possible!

Good luck.
roundcoconut

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning