GARLIC

Share your gardening experiences here

Moderators: JeffN, Heather McDougall

GARLIC

Postby beverleycumming » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:16 pm

I live in northern Ontario...I grow tomatoes kale and summer squash but my forte is garlic..I grow 5 varieties...a total of 1500 plants...I have enough to last me to next harvest and sell some to local food markets...
beverleycumming

Re: GARLIC

Postby WeeSpeck » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:03 pm

How wonderful! I didn't even know there were varieties of garlic, let alone five! How do they differ from each other?

How do you grow garlic? I have often thought it would be nice to have my own garlic harvest, but I am not even sure how to go about it other than sticking a garlic bulb in the ground and seeing if it roots. Does it require a certain kind of soil and preparation? What about the growing season? Does it require cooler weather or sandier soil?

Congratulations on your bounty. 1500 plants is a lot! How much does that yield?

Yummy! Now I want something garlicky and savory.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby beverleycumming » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:33 pm

Well believe it or not there are many many varieties of garlic..what happened to me is that a local farmer gave me a wee box of baby finger nail cloves...I thought...these aren’t worth peeling...I’ll just put them in the ground...so planted them just before frost and didn’t think any more..next spring they are up and they produced a bulb with only 2cloves...but heh I thought...throw them back into the ground...long story short this garlic produces massive bulbs...so once my excitement got going...I bought seed garlic from a reputable garlic farm and now have 5 varieties...are they different...yes...some are hot...some earthy..some sweeter...but in the end garlic is garlic..I have a garlic tasting evg making a bean sauce base flavoured with each variety and my husband loves all the garlic dishes...it comes in handy when we make large vats odd sauerkraut...we like it garlicky...
beverleycumming

Postby beverleycumming » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Best site for neophytes for planting garlic...I like boundaryfarms
beverleycumming

Postby calvin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:20 am

Any hints on your best/favorite way to roast garlic?
calvin

Postby beverleycumming » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:56 am

calvin wrote:Any hints on your best/favorite way to roast garlic?

If you own an actifry...remove paddle and roast for about 20 minutes...just remove top off whole bulb...a finger wipe of oil if you want..I don’t use it and it’s super...really have never done ioin conventional oven...I’m sure some other foodie would know...roasting is fantastic to bring out the individual flavours of each variety...I have Music, Susan Delafield, Marion, Great Northern, Russian Red And Red Korean...oh that appears to be 6...all are hardnecks and can take Canadian winter but garlic loves the cold of our winter and heat of summer
beverleycumming

Postby WeeSpeck » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:04 am

Sounds so fun! I am going to have to give this a try.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Return to Gardening