Dr Greger and Dr McDougall

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Okinawa

Postby JeffN » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:35 pm

Heretic wrote:[They also seem to use pork and lard in Okinawa, at least according to some (but not all sources). No, not from "The Okinawa Study" book (sorry), from: Deborah Franklyn, "Take a Lesson from the People of Okinawa," Health, September 1996 ) Here is a quote

Thanks

But I will take the peer reviewed published data from the Annals of the NY Academy of Sciences over a pop magazine any day.

Caloric Restriction, the Traditional
Okinawan Diet, and Healthy Aging
The Diet of the World’s Longest-Lived People and Its Potential Impact on Morbidity and Life Span
Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1114: 434–455 (2007).

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6117

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby HealthFreak » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:14 pm

JeffN wrote:We shouldnt base our recommendations for optimal health on exceptions. Otherwise lets just use the Inuit and the Masai.
Jeff

I believe humans are physiologically and spiritually designed to eat plant based foods. I'm not looking for expceptions to disprove that. I've always been curious, however, about the Masai. How is their health on their traditional diet of cow meat, blood and whatever else they eat?
HealthFreak

Postby JeffN » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:57 am

HealthFreak wrote:I've always been curious, however, about the Masai. How is their health on their traditional diet of cow meat, blood and whatever else they eat?

I think you will find a discussion of the Masai here

http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6321

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Masai

Postby Heretic » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:47 am

JeffN wrote:
HealthFreak wrote:I've always been curious, however, about the Masai. How is their health on their traditional diet of cow meat, blood and whatever else they eat?

I think you will find a discussion of the Masai here

http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6321

In Health
Jeff

Hi,

You wrote in that thread (re: Masai), quote:

Besides, I think the Masai are a poor example and are often misrepresented as they do get heart disease and atherosclerosis also, even though they live short lives, and are extremely fit, so how good a diet can it be.

This is partially true but probably not quite. Masai men live through the "muran" warrior stage when their diet is prescribed by their custom (high fat, almost zero carbs). During that stage they have no atherosclerosis and no markers for inflammation (see below). After a certain age, they are allowed to eat any food (and they do eat all kinds of food) which results in a discontinuous worsening of their markers on the chart (see the link below). Thus it is quite conceivable that if you section the "muran" men aortas (as in the earlier Mann's paper) you may find no plaque but if you do section 50 years old non-muran Masai then you may find some plaque. Mann's papers are in fact quite suggestive of the cardiovascular protectiveness of Masai muran diet but not of their other post-muran diet. This data is only reproduced in the full text of Dr. G. Mann's paper, not in the abstract. The graphs from Mann's Masai papers are available on this site:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... rosis.html

And a quote (from Mann's paper):

"We believe... that the Muran escapes some noxious dietary agent for a time. Obviously, this is neither animal fat nor cholesterol. The old and the young Masai do have access to such processed staples as flour, sugar, confections and shortenings through the Indian dukas scattered about Masailand. These foods could carry the hypothetical agent."

Regards,
Stan (Heretic)

P.S.

I noticed your comment in that other thread (on diabetes) you mentioned, quote:

The study is 83 subjects for 8 weeks. And, as I mentioned in our discussion, short term changes in insulin and BS are not what matters most. In addition, LDL and Hcy got much worse on the VLC diet and the minor change in HDL is irrelevant.

( the study in question is this http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1368980 )

I need to add that there are much longer studies than that, for example:

Jörgen V Nielsen and Eva A Joensson, Nutrition & Metabolism 2008, 5:14,
"Low-carbohydrate diet in type 2 diabetes: stable improvement of bodyweight and glycemic control during 44 months follow-up"

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/5/1/14
Heretic

Postby JeffN » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:49 am

Heretic wrote:This is partially true but probably not quite. Masai men live through the "muran" warrior stage when their diet is prescribed by their custom (high fat, almost zero carbs). During that stage they have no atherosclerosis and no markers for inflammation (see below). After a certain age, they are allowed to eat any food (and they do eat all kinds of food) which results in a discontinuous worsening of their markers on the chart (see the link below). Thus it is quite conceivable that if you section the "muran" men aortas (as in the earlier Mann's paper) you may find no plaque but if you do section 50 years old non-muran Masai then you may find some plaque. Mann's papers are in fact quite suggestive of the cardiovascular protectiveness of Masai muran diet but not of their other post-muran diet. This data is only reproduced in the full text of Dr. G. Mann's paper, not in the abstract. The graphs from Mann's Masai papers are available on this site:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... rosis.html

And a quote (from Mann's paper):

"We believe... that the Muran escapes some noxious dietary agent for a time. Obviously, this is neither animal fat nor cholesterol. The old and the young Masai do have access to such processed staples as flour, sugar, confections and shortenings through the Indian dukas scattered about Masailand. These foods could carry the hypothetical agent."

This is partially true but probably not quite. :)

Atherosclerosis takes years if not decades to develop so something they were doing years if not decades earlier contributed to their increases in plaque and not just the change in the last few years. This is also part of the rationale behind the French Paradox as their increase in unhealthy foods takes decades to show up in their health outcomes.

No one is arguing here for that foods such as flour, sugar, candy and shortening are healthy. I posted an article in this the Lounge of an study where they lived on a diet that was 47% refined sugar and saw no increase in those markers so there is more to the picture.

But again, the human body is incredible and if this tribe was able to adept and those who can handle those noxious foods better survived, why would anyone want to recommend such a program? Especially when lifespan is so low.

There is a small island in the Pacific where their main diet includes fish that is high in mercury and they inhabitants have adapted and suffer none of the consequences. Should we then recommend this to our children?

All it proves is that humans are incredibly adaptable.

Personally, I would not want to hedge my bets on such isolated tribes under extreme conditions. Especially when we look at common denominators of long lived populations around the world which shows us that the dietary behaviors and lifestyles of these isolated tribes is not amongst these common denominators. Getting to 110 is pretty impressive. The success of these long lived populations leaves more than clues. They are well studies and published. You are welcome to interpret and implement them anyway you want.

BTW, Do you really beleive that the WHO, FAO, NAS, WCRF, AICR, etc have all been dubbed and mislead?

The l/t study above that you post supporting a low carb diet, had only 16 people and only 7 who did the cross over. They were obese and (only for the first few months) losing weight which would have shown some benefit no matter what they ate. Most of them gained much if not most of their weight back and at the end of 44 months, they difference was only from a BMI Of 36.1 to a BMI of 33.4. Think about it, 44 months and their BMI changed only 1.7 points and they were still obese. They were still at high risk. Is that what you are recommending?

In addition, only at the 3 month period, during the 44 months, were their A1c's in the (upper end of the) acceptable range and then they shot back up to over 6.5 for the remaining time of the 44 months. Their Total cholesterol barely changed at all and their TGs remained the same so most of the "supposed" lipid benefit was de to an increased HDL, which I have thoroughly discussed in this forum that raising HDL on a high fat diet may not be beneficial in the long run.

Even the authors themselves said

"However, both mean HbA1c and weight have increased over the last 2 years."

In addition, the control group was your typical high carb, low fat, junk food diet so it does not apply here.

How does that compare with the study I posted on 4,000 subjects on a diet like this where 70% were medication free in 3 weeks and 40% were insulin free in 3 weeks and stayed that way at 3 & 5 year follow ups?

Or the famous Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) which was a 27-center randomized clinical trial that studied more than 3,200 adults who were 25 years or older and who were at increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes. It included included 55 percent who were Caucasian and 45 percent who were minorities -- 20 percent African American, 16 percent Hispanic, 5 percent American Indian, 4 percent Asian American.

The participants followed the intensive low fat diet and exercise, reduced their risk of developing diabetes by 58 percent compared to 31% for those who took medication. This finding was true across all participating ethnic groups and for both men and women. Lifestyle changes worked particularly well for participants aged 60 and older, reducing their risk by 71 percent.

Similar results were seen in the famous Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study (DPS).

So, with all due respect, now that you have been able to post continually here without any editing, banning or deleting, what is your point?

More importantly, how can I help you?

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Heretic » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:03 am

My point is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. :-D

Why I am here?

I hope you don't mind my participation. Main reason is to learn more about nutrition and metabolism. For example, the diabetes study you quoted showed that only 40% patients got insulin free. Why only 40%? Why did it not work as well for the remaining 60%? Non-compliance? May be. Why non-compliance is such a problem? Is junk food so addictive? Why exactly it is (if it is)?

Another reason is that you and McDougall have some interesting references and studies, which I like reading, although sometimes my interpretations or conclusions may be different from yours.

How can you help me? Continue what you are already doing - explaining your point of view!

Thanks and regards,
Stan (Heretic)

"The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement"
(Karl R. Popper, 1902-1994)
Heretic

Postby JeffN » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:16 am

Heretic wrote:the diabetes study you quoted showed that only 40% patients got insulin free. Why only 40%? Why did it not work as well for the remaining 60%? Non-compliance? May be. Why non-compliance is such a problem?

This study was done on Type II diabetics, and when a Type II Diabetic progresses to the point of needing insulin injections, it it because they have advanced to a point where they are losing the ability to make their own insulin and the loss of beta cells and beta cell function.

In addition, depending on how long they have been on insulin and how much will depend whether or not they can recover to the point that they can no longer need the insulin. The longer they have been on it, the harder to get them off of it. Once the beta cell function has been lost, there is little the lifestyle approach can do to restore lost beta cells.

However, for those who can not get off their insulin, their amounts can be greatly reduced as can also their risks for complications.

Compliance was not really an issue, as for the first 3 weeks, they were virtually locked up. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

diabetes study

Postby Heretic » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:23 am

Re:
How does that compare with the study I posted on 4,000 subjects on a diet like this where 70% were medication free in 3 weeks and 40% were insulin free in 3 weeks and stayed that way at 3 & 5 year follow ups?

Or the famous Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) which was a 27-center randomized clinical trial that studied more than 3,200 adults who were 25 years or older and who were at increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Sorry - would you mind posting the links or pointing towards the links to those papers?

Thanks,
H.
Heretic

Level of evidence?

Postby Burgess » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:48 am

Heretic wrote:For example, the diabetes study you quoted showed that only 40% patients got insulin free. Why only 40%?

What percentage would be convincing to you? Why?

P. S. -- In relation to what position are you a "heretic"?
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby Heretic » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:34 pm

No percentage would convince me one way or the other (it applies to any diet). I never reach the stage of "total conviction" only a stage of "gentle skepticism" at best. Why? - because I am a heretic! :)

Regards,
Stan (Heretic)

P.S.

Re: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com/ -- How I solved inflammation (-itis) problems

In my humble opinion this is probably a wheat/gluten/WGA intolerance. All he needed to do is to eliminate all wheat produce and nothing else. He can add animal produce back to his diet after a couple of weeks on a totally grain-free diet, when his intenstinal tissue regenerates enough.

We had a friend (woman in her 20-ties) who was in a similar situation. When she arrived in our local town she weighed ~45kg (6 foot tall) and could not walk. She could not eat anything (except animal fat as she found out). Initially 1/2 lb of 40% cream a day and after a few days she was able to add more food (no grains!). Once intestinal lining is damaged by gluten and weat germ agglutin (WGA), or other grains, practically anything can cause adverse reaction, meat or no meat. Not all people react like this on wheat but some do. See also this (the author had a similar experience with gluten intolerance): http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/ (look at the alphabetic list of his articles on the right margin, beginning with "Gluten")
Heretic

Postby Heretic » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:38 pm

Re: P. S. -- In relation to what position are you a "heretic"?

Especially towards medicine. In this respect I totally agree with Dr. McDougall!

H.
Heretic

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD