Reverse Osmosis water

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Reverse Osmosis water

Postby momof4 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:20 am

Hi Jeff,
We've been using an RO system, and I recently read that because it's a "pure" water (lacking in minerals), that it will leach minerals from metals--and that's why plastic tubing is used when setting it up.

But there's also talk that, because it's known as a "hungry" water, it shouldn't be used when cooking in stainless steel or used in plastic water bottles because of the leaching. I often cook in stainless steel (that's my pressure cooker), and we very seldom use plastic bottles, but I'd prefer not leaching more chemicals from the plastic. Then, of course, someone mentioned that the RO water leaches minerals from our bodies...

Not sure if this is just internet garbage, or if there's any truth to this. I feel rather foolish even asking about it. :oops:
momof4

Re: Reverse Osmosis water

Postby JeffN » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:39 am

momof4 wrote:Hi Jeff,
We've been using an RO system, and I recently read that because it's a "pure" water (lacking in minerals), that it will leach minerals from metals--and that's why plastic tubing is used when setting it up.

But there's also talk that, because it's known as a "hungry" water, it shouldn't be used when cooking in stainless steel or used in plastic water bottles because of the leaching. I often cook in stainless steel (that's my pressure cooker), and we very seldom use plastic bottles, but I'd prefer not leaching more chemicals from the plastic. Then, of course, someone mentioned that the RO water leaches minerals from our bodies...

Not sure if this is just internet garbage, or if there's any truth to this. I feel rather foolish even asking about it. :oops:

Don't feel foolish as the marketing these days is very cleverly done.

If you remember from science, water is a carrier molecule and is used by the body to transport chemicals etc but it in and of itself does not "leach" chemicals.

When thirsty, drink water.

Reverse osmosis, spring water and distilled are all fine. They do not "leach" minerals from your body.

In Health
Jeff

PS this is the water I buy...

http://www.glacierwater.com/index.htm
JeffN

Postby momof4 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am

Thanks!! :)
momof4

Postby plantboy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:17 pm

JeffN wrote:Don't feel foolish as the marketing these days is very cleverly done.

If you remember from science, water is a carrier molecule and is used by the body to transport chemicals etc but it in and of itself does not "leach" chemicals.

When thirsty, drink water.

Reverse osmosis, spring water and distilled are all fine. They do not "leach" minerals from your body.

In Health
Jeff

PS this is the water I buy...

I can really appreciate the response above where it says the marketing these days is very cleverly done. I have found it to be REALLY difficult to make the best choice for water in my home.

I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone can give advice on reputable sources on water, as I try to navigate the dizzying array of marketing and product performances. Here are a few areas of my confusion I am hoping someone may be able to help me with:

- I have read that RO (reverse osmosis and/or distilled) water has been shown to leach metals out of pipelines if not partially remineralized before being sent down the pipeline. I would think it may do something similar in our bodies?

- I have heard that chlorine, chloramine, and its byproducts are bad for us, along with other tap water contaminants.

- I understand that to get a good quality water filter, it must meet certain standards for either 1) aesthetic effects such as taste and odor, and 2) health effects. These can be measured by NSF/ANSI standards 42 and 53, as described over here, and as such we should judge water filtration devices by such standards: http://www.nsf.org/business/drinking_wa ... ndards.asp

- Also I have read online about this product and it does seem to work under certain conditions, but I wonder what exactly is it doing to the minerals in the water / is it any worse or better for our bodies, etc:
http://www.amazon.com/Field-Controls-Cl ... B00080HR9E

I'd like to say thanks in advance to anyone interested in discussing the most effective water treatment for city water! I am currently in the process of trying to implement a whole house and/or kitchen sink water filter system, with the additional intent of possibly trying the clear wave product mentioned above so as to soften the water a bit without actually taking the minerals out.
plantboy

Postby JeffN » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:33 am

plantboy wrote:I can really appreciate the response above where it says the marketing these days is very cleverly done. I have found it to be REALLY difficult to make the best choice for water in my home..

Greetings,

If you would like to separate some of the marketing and advertising from the actual science, then I would encourage you to try and find reputable sources for your information, such as peer-reviewed, published studies in leading science journals. These are as freely available to you as is all the marketing and advertising information. Information that is coming from any source that is in anyway related to selling the product recommended, should not be relied on as being accurate unless it can be verified from an independent non commercial, source as mentioned.

In the end, there may not be one clear choice, but several with benefits and costs that you will have to weight against your current situation and needs.

If someone was concerned with their exposure to water in the household environment, they could also easily address this with a shower filter and using purified water, as I mention above.

Good luck in your research and let us know what you find out.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby KareninTN » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:56 pm

Jeff,

I get that Glacier water at my grocery also. Do you know for sure that their filtering process removes fluoride, because that's my reason for using it.

Karen
KareninTN

Postby JeffN » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:23 pm

KareninTN wrote:Jeff,

I get that Glacier water at my grocery also. Do you know for sure that their filtering process removes fluoride, because that's my reason for using it.

Karen

Hi Karen,

I can not speak for the company or their product and do not know of any standardized testing results of their product. It is just a product I am comfortable using and do not have the concerns that many others do.

Therefore, I would recommend that you direct your question to them. If you go to their website, there is information on how to contact them.

Let us know what they say!

Thanks!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby KareninTN » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:24 am

They said that it does remove fluoride, "down to below detectable levels." So I guess it is worth the trouble I go to. :)

Karen
KareninTN

Postby JeffN » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:39 pm

debbie wrote:Okay, so what is wrong with floride??

You can read some discussions of fluoride in these 2 discussion threads.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7351

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9550

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD