Fish Oil Tablets and Omega-3

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fish Oil Tablets and Omega-3

Postby JeffN » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:51 pm

JeffN

Re: Formication

Postby SlimChandraShekar » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:05 pm

Jeff,
even though this is an older post, I'd like to mention that I had been on fish oil capsules as my formication symptoms and itching grew worse. I've stopped all Omega - 3 supplements with the exception of one Tbs ground flax seed in my oatmeal.
I'm hoping that this will help improve my situation together with the reset diet.
Slim

JeffN wrote:Jaggu

There is no scientific evidence to support the recommendation of 3-4 grams of fish oil to the general population, or as a general recommendation to people at risk for heart disease as this amount can have serious side effects.

Intake of 3 grams per day or greater of omega-3 fatty acids may increase the risk of bleeding and may increase the risk of hemorrhagic (bleeding) stroke.

Other Known Side Effects and Concerns

High doses have also been associated with nosebleed and blood in the urine. Fish oils appear to decrease platelet aggregation and prolong bleeding time, increase fibrinolysis (breaking down of blood clots), and may reduce von Willebrand factor.

Gastrointestinal upset is common with the use of fish oil supplements. Diarrhea may also occur, with potentially severe diarrhea at very high doses. There are also reports of increased burping, acid reflux/heartburn/indigestion, abdominal bloating, and abdominal pain. Fishy aftertaste is a common effect.

Slight increases in fasting blood glucose levels have been noted in patients with type 2 ("adult onset") diabetes

Fish oil taken for many months may cause a deficiency of vitamin E, and therefore vitamin E is added to many commercial fish oil products. As a result, regular use of vitamin E-enriched products may lead to elevated levels of this fat-soluble vitamin. Fish liver oil contains the fat-soluble vitamins A and D, and therefore fish liver oil products (such as cod liver oil) may increase the risk of vitamin A or D toxicity.

Increases (worsening) in low-density lipoprotein levels ("bad cholesterol") by 5-10% are observed with intake of omega-3 fatty acids. Effects are dose-dependent.

Mild elevations in liver function tests (alanine aminotransferase) have been reported.

Skin rashes have been reported.

There are rare reports of mania in patients with bipolar disorder or major depression. Restlessness and formication (the sensation of ants crawling on the skin) have also been reported.

Even the American Heart Association does not endorse a 3-4 gram recommendation, nor does the National Academy of Sciences.

And, A recent meta-study by the Canadian Medical Association Journal found fish oil supplementation did not demonstrate any preventative benefit to cardiac patients with ventricular arrhythmias.

Should patients with cardiovascular disease take fish oil? Girish M. Nair, MBBS MD and Stuart J. Connolly, MD CMAJ • January 15, 2008; 178 (2).

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
SlimChandraShekar

Re: Formication

Postby JeffN » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:08 am

SlimChandraShekar wrote:Jeff,
even though this is an older post, I'd like to mention that I had been on fish oil capsules as my formication symptoms and itching grew worse. I've stopped all Omega - 3 supplements with the exception of one Tbs ground flax seed in my oatmeal.
I'm hoping that this will help improve my situation together with the reset diet.
Slim

Keep me posted

:)

Jeff
JeffN

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD