Do Omega 3s boost metabolism??

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Do Omega 3s boost metabolism??

Postby Zena » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:06 pm

Hi Jeff,

A friend sent me this short video and asked my opinion on it. This is Dr. Brooke Goldner’s husband and he’s talking about consuming approx 1/2 cup of flax or chia seeds daily in order to get 20,000 mg of Omega-3s and this is somehow magically supposed to boost metabolism and help with weight loss (and even getting shredded?!). My understanding is that we don’t eat fat to lose fat and as Dr. McDougall says “the we eat is the fat we wear”. But before dismissing it out of hand to my friend, I thought to get the expert’s opinion and ask if there’s any truth to this? Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C44Kw3nS9Ko
Zena

Re: Do Omega 3s boost metabolism??

Postby JeffN » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:59 am

I am not sure why anyone would want to "boost" their metabolism.

Do they believe theirs is "broken?"

Do they believe they have a "slow" metabolism?

Do they believe they can't stop eating excessively?

:)

There have been many things over the years that have claimed to do this and other then a very minor impact, none of them have ever proven out.

The three best ways to increase your TEE (Total energy expenditure) is through activity, exercise and NEAT (Non exercise activity thermogenesis).

There are several thread on this in my forums

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Do Omega 3s boost metabolism??

Postby Zena » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:27 pm

Great thank you!
Zena

Return to Jeff Novick, RD