Broccoli Bingeing??

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Broccoli Bingeing??

Postby Rob Stuart » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:10 pm

Jeff, in watching one of your videos I have been amused by your remark that you have not seen a lot of broccoli bingers in your time with the McDougall program. Now, I don't think I can actually be described as a "binger" (I'm not sure this is spelled right- I am referring here to a person who binges - a binger). However, I have discovered the joys of (frozen) broccoli during the past year.

For example, I add it to my oatmeal in the morning. I just nuke it in the microwave for about 4 minutes. I then throw it onto my oatmeal, along with some diced apple, strawberries, blueberries and a little flaxseed meal. It all tastes quite good when eaten together and is oh so healthy....

I eat some broccoli at lunch along with my hummus and tomato sandwich (a BHT??).

And I eat some with my dinner at night - recently with a little soy sauce and some mushrooms. I have found that broccoli tastes particularly good when topped with a little mustard. I can pretend that I'm at the stadium, but instead of a hot dog with mustard I'm.... Well, you get the picture.

Anyway, I guess this level of broccoli consumption does not qualify as actual bingeing (this can't be the way you spell this), though I do enjoy it almost every day. But it does show the many ways in which this food can be enjoyed. Maybe this could serve as the basis for an advertising campaign by "Big Broccoli." What do you think?
Rob Stuart

Re: Broccoli Bingeing??

Postby JeffN » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:04 am

Rob Stuart wrote:Jeff, in watching one of your videos I have been amused by your remark that you have not seen a lot of broccoli bingers in your time with the McDougall program. Now, I don't think I can actually be described as a "binger" (I'm not sure this is spelled right- I am referring here to a person who binges - a binger). However, I have discovered the joys of (frozen) broccoli during the past year.

For example, I add it to my oatmeal in the morning. I just nuke it in the microwave for about 4 minutes. I then throw it onto my oatmeal, along with some diced apple, strawberries, blueberries and a little flaxseed meal. It all tastes quite good when eaten together and is oh so healthy....

I eat some broccoli at lunch along with my hummus and tomato sandwich (a BHT??).

And I eat some with my dinner at night - recently with a little soy sauce and some mushrooms. I have found that broccoli tastes particularly good when topped with a little mustard. I can pretend that I'm at the stadium, but instead of a hot dog with mustard I'm.... Well, you get the picture.

Anyway, I guess this level of broccoli consumption does not qualify as actual bingeing (this can't be the way you spell this), though I do enjoy it almost every day. But it does show the many ways in which this food can be enjoyed. Maybe this could serve as the basis for an advertising campaign by "Big Broccoli." What do you think?

Glad you are enjoying your broccoli.

My wife and I love broccoli and go through several pounds a week between us, not counting what might also be in a bag of "mixed" frozen vegetables.

Neither of us would qualify as a binge eater.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Broccoli Bingeing??

Postby Rob Stuart » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:46 pm

I was (obviously?) just kidding around about the binging.

However, it does occur to me that we tend to associate certain (if not many dishes) with certain meals, prepared in certain ways. In my family, for instance, we always served broccoli only at dinner. When we did, we doused it in butter or dumped melted cheese all over it.

Yet, I have found over the last few years that, when mixed with apples, berries, and oatmeal, it is actually quite good. Likewise, I really do think it goes quite well with mustard.

Why couldn't we serve it at the ballpark with a little mustard (and a beer? maybe not)? There are many ways to enjoy different (healthy) foods, in many different contexts.

All it takes is a little imagination and a little determination. It is amazing what can be accomplished.
Rob Stuart

Return to Jeff Novick, RD