Maca Root Powder

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Maca Root Powder

Postby JOJO1947 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 am

Jeff, I would appreciated any information you have on Maca Powder. I'm negative as I think I can get everything I need from just the plain food, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. Thank you JoAnn Ivey
JOJO1947

Re: Maca Root Powder

Postby JeffN » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:48 am

JOJO1947 wrote:Jeff, I would appreciated any information you have on Maca Powder. I'm negative as I think I can get everything I need from just the plain food, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. Thank you JoAnn Ivey

As always, my first question is, why do you think you need it. What do you think it is going to do for you

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JOJO1947 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:09 am

Ha! Good answer! A friend of mine asked what I thought of maca powder and although I don't personally use it, I was really wondering if there were any downsides. Same as why do we eat any food? I eat potatoes for the taste and nutrition. JoAnn
JOJO1947

Postby JeffN » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:46 am

JOJO1947 wrote:Same as why do we eat any food? I eat potatoes for the taste and nutrition. JoAnn

Not quite. :)

The reason Maca is so popular and people are talking about it, is not in regard to using it as a food like a potato, but using the concentrated ground powder as a supplement like ginseng. If you search for it you will almost exclusively see it being sold as a supplement in the form of powder, capsules, etc. It is said to increase energy and libido (especially for men) amongst other things. The research, including on its safety, is limited and so there is very little toxicological or safety information available.

Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD