does fat play a role in bone/tissue healing?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

does fat play a role in bone/tissue healing?

Postby elbow » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:35 pm

Dear Jeff,

I follow the MWL diet, and I love it. The food tastes great and I don't eat as addictively as I do with higher calorie dense foods. I don't have any added fat in my diet. Last week I busted my kneecap and had surgery and now I'm in the process of healing. I'm eating my usual MWL diet, but the worrier in me wonders if added fat plays any role in the bone or tissue healing. I know from your talks and videos and writings that the nutrient content of nuts per calorie is much lower than my starches and veggies. I'm just wondering if the fat itself is helpful in healing. I eat a very low-fat diet and I'm thin so don't have much fat to offer in the healing if it's useful.

thanks,
-barb
elbow

Re: does fat play a role in bone/tissue healing?

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:27 pm

My first thought is that all the antioxidants and phytonutrients is what the body needs to repair tissue. Sorry to hear about your injury, and wishing you a speedy recovery!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Jeff Novick, RD