Iodine not added to uk salt

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Iodine not added to uk salt

Postby clareb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:29 pm

Hi Jeff.
I've been struggling to lose weight despite being on whole food plant based plan for over 9 years. The added fats had crept back in a bit but have eliminated them again completely. I'd never been comfortable eating much starch but have now changed that with sweet potatoes mainly. Wholegrain starches like wholegrain pasta sometimes and brown Basmati rice too.

So, I'm trying to follow your guidance after reading quite a bit of what's online and some YouTube videos which have been great for showing me what I need to do. Still learning though and so much to read for more inspiration.
Added sugar is no longer a problem for me thankfully. Have even eliminated the small amount of agave nectar on my porridge.

Salt is more difficult and that is where I need guidance please.

I am totally convinced if what you say about salt. We didn't eat a lot of salt but now I see the bigger picture and want to improve our diets. My bp is good but husband's is slightly high so very important to improve it especially.

So I've stopped adding salt to food when cooking and on the plate so that's a start.
In one thread on here you mention sodium and iodine levels will be adequately met by eating plants and any small quantities of table salt as iodine is added to that. In uk salt is not usually added to table salt from what i can tell. Would I need to add it then eg by seaweed?
Have I understood correctly that no salt should be added at all to cooking? Not a problem with most foods but potatoes and lentils? I'm sure I can get used to if I i need to but it's tough so wanted to check.

Thanks again for all your advice and guidance.
Clare
clareb

Re: Iodine not added to uk salt

Postby JeffN » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:31 pm

I read your post over a few times.

I am not sure I understand exactly what your question(s) are (salt?, weight?, iodine?, etc), or that you are understanding my guidelines/positions (I do not insist on an SOS free diet)

Therefore, I would recommend you reading through these few threads (and the links in them) to better understand my positions. I think you may even find the answer to your question(s).

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=59553

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45176

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45898

If not, then let me know what your specific questions are.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Iodine not added to uk salt

Postby clareb » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:51 am

Hi Jeff
Many thanks for coming back to me. Much appreciated.

I'm sorry my questions were not clear. I was trying to explain where I was up to on my plant based journey but I obviously just confused the issue.

My concerns were about salt and iodine. However I have read the threads you suggested and they have clarified the issues. Given the problems re seaweeds, I will try to find an iodised table salt in the UK and use that in very small quantities.

Many thanks
Clare
clareb

Return to Jeff Novick, RD