One Kidney, not two and Vitamin B12

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

One Kidney, not two and Vitamin B12

Postby Spiral » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:29 pm

Jeff,

In a few weeks I will be donating a kidney to my wife. So, instead of two kidneys, I will have one. I was thinking about cynocobalamin in my Vitamin B12 supplement. Should I switch to a different type of Vitamin B12 because I will have only 1 kidney to deal with the trace amounts of cyanide in the cynocobalamin? Or is this amount of cyanide so tiny that I need not make such change?

Thanks!
Spiral

Re: One Kidney, not two and Vitamin B12

Postby JeffN » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:40 pm

I can see how this thought would arise but I would not worry about it.

You have 2 healthy kidneys or they would not be accepting your donation. You will be left with one healthy kidney which will function formally and maintain your values.

The concern for the cyano is in those with advanced kidney disease with lowered GFR values, who may not be clearing the cyano.

So, personally, unless they say your GFR drop below 50, I wouldn’t worry

Of course, if you lose sleep over it, you can always just switch to Methyl or Hydroxy and not worry about. You may need to take more methyl to achieve the same serum level of B12

Hope that helps
Jeff
JeffN

Re: One Kidney, not two and Vitamin B12

Postby Spiral » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:32 pm

Jeff,

That makes sense. Thank you.
Spiral

Return to Jeff Novick, RD