Jeff, ? Re: sodium requirements for pregnant/lactating women

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Jeff, ? Re: sodium requirements for pregnant/lactating women

Postby Cucumbernoodles » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:39 pm

I love all of your videos and insight, Jeff. I was wondering if, as a pregnant and nursing mother, in your opinion I need to be conscious of increasing my sodium intake beyond the ~330 milligrams I get from my food. I don't consume any table salt.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Cucumbernoodles

Re: Jeff, ? Re: sodium requirements for pregnant/lactating w

Postby JeffN » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:55 am

Cucumbernoodles wrote:I love all of your videos and insight, Jeff. I was wondering if, as a pregnant and nursing mother, in your opinion I need to be conscious of increasing my sodium intake beyond the ~330 milligrams I get from my food. I don't consume any table salt.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

My sodium recommendation is </= 1200 mg/day and have written of my concerns with a 100% no salt added diet. One can go to low on an overly restricted diet & I know of no health concerns at my recommended level. While the "minimum" need is often discussed, I do not recommend aiming for the minimum intake as a goal, whether it is sodium, protein, calcium, etc. We are rarely living in a ideal situation/environment and need an adequate intake (ie, B12), not the estimated bare minimum.

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD