Rice, arsenic and a new study ... Jeff, Your thoughts?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Rice, arsenic and a new study ... Jeff, Your thoughts?

Postby REWohsnus » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:16 am

Hi Jeff,

I have two questions involving arsenic and rice stemming from a new study:

Question #1: I've been following your recommendations to reduce arsenic when cooking rice. I came across a recent study shared in the article, "New way of cooking rice removes arsenic and retains mineral nutrients study shows' posed on the University of Sheffield, Institute for Sustainable Food website. Do you think this method is preferable to your previous recommendation?

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/sustainable ... tudy-shows

A link to the actual study is included in the above article.

Question #2: On your site you discuss how to cook rice to reduce arsenic (https://jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/Entr ... an_Do.html) And I was just a bit confused in the directions. In step #2 you wrote,:

Boil the rice in extra water similar as you would do with pasta. Use at least 5- 6 cups of water for every cup of rice. After boiling the rice for 30 minutes, drain the extra water, then return the rice to the pot and let sit for 10 minutes. This can remove at least 35-45% of any arsenic.

Did you actually mean BOIL the rice for 30 minutes itself before draining the water? I hadn't quite read this correctly. I've been bringing the rice to a boil and then simmering for 30 minutes before draining. Which is correct?

Thanks for all the work you do - it is very much appreciated!

EM
REWohsnus

Re: Rice, arsenic and a new study ... Jeff, Your thoughts?

Postby JeffN » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:30 am

REWohsnus wrote: Hi Jeff,

I have two questions involving arsenic and rice stemming from a new study:

Question #1: I've been following your recommendations to reduce arsenic when cooking rice. I came across a recent study shared in the article, "New way of cooking rice removes arsenic and retains mineral nutrients study shows' posed on the University of Sheffield, Institute for Sustainable Food website. Do you think this method is preferable to your previous recommendation?

I think it is splitting hairs as the results are not much different.

The article you linked says 50-74% depending on the type.

If you read these carefully, and put it all together, what I am recommending removes 45- 80%

https://jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/Entr ... an_Do.html

REWohsnus wrote:Question #2: Did you actually mean BOIL the rice for 30 minutes itself before draining the water? I hadn't quite read this correctly. I've been bringing the rice to a boil and then simmering for 30 minutes before draining. Which is correct?

I meant boil. :)

I am sure it works either way. Usually you can't just boil rice when using a 2/1 ratio as you will lose too much water through evaporation before the rice is done (and you can't cover it as it will boil over). However, when using the high ratio of water to rice, you can let it boil the full time, just like you can do with pasta. It is also one of the contributing reasons why it gets done so fast. :)

Enjoy

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Rice, arsenic and a new study ... Jeff, Your thoughts?

Postby REWohsnus » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:37 pm

Jeff,

Thanks so much! Your answers were helpful!

- EM
REWohsnus

Return to Jeff Novick, RD