High B12 levels

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

High B12 levels

Postby ceci » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:41 pm

I have been on a plant-based 'diet' for >15 years, popping a Vit B12 (activated Methyl B12 1000mcg) "when I think of it", i.e. not on a daily basis, sometimes may be once a week. I recently had my B12 levels tested and they came back >1476, and so was advised to discontinue B12 supplements. I have no idea what a 'normal' level of B12 ought to be.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/nov/b12.htm
Quote from article:
"On average, for someone raised on the Western diet, about 2 to 5 milligrams of B12 are stored, mostly in the liver. This means most people have at least a three year reserve of this vital nutrient. Conservation of B12 by the body boosts the time this supply lasts by 10-fold. After excretion through the bile into the intestines most of the B12 is reabsorbed by the ileum for future use. As a result of this recirculation it actually takes, on average, 20 to 30 years to become deficient after becoming a strict vegan. That is if no vitamin B12 were consumed—which is impossible, even on a strict vegan diet, because of bacterial sources of B12 from the person’s bowel, contaminated vegetable foods, and the environment. "

My question:
If this B12 level is far too high, and B12 remains in the body for quite some time, how long will it take for B12 to go down to 'normal' levels, whatever 'normal' may be? I was told to take 1 x 1000mcg per month, but if this is not necessary, I just won't take B12 anymore for at least three years. Would this be reasonable? Or, should I stop for about one year and then have the levels tested again? I am 71 years old, not overweight, and reasonably fit.

Edit:
Most of my meals are made from scratch with fresh produce, with exception of rice milk, cornflakes, store bought 9-grain bread mix. There is no mention on the packages that these items are fortified with B12.
ceci

Re: High B12 levels

Postby Jeremiah » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:12 pm

As you saw in the article by Mcdougall, someone with normal B12 levels who adopts a vegan diet will be unlikely to face any risk of deficiency for 20-30 years, not 3.

The B12 issue is so, so overhyped. There's really no reason you should ever even think about your B12 level ever again. Do meat eaters think about it? The reality is, you'd probably be completely healthy for the rest of your life if you never even took another B12 supplement.

The main reason Mcdougall even recommends supplementing B12 is to shut up the anti-plant-based naysayers, not because he actually thinks most people need it.

Nobody can even speculate on how soon your levels would go down. It's literally impossible to know how efficient your body is at storing and accumulating and using B12, or what levels your body would prefer to have.

It's crazy that the anti-vegans have succeeded in making vegans obsess about this.

I've been a vegan for 26 years, since I was 18 years old. I'm 44 now and guess how many B12 supplements I've taken in my life?

Zero. Never had a single reason to even think about it if fearmongers weren't constantly pushing the issue to try to discredit a plant based diet. I run marathons, hike, rock climb, swim, and lift weights and am perfectly healthy.

If someone knows their levels are low, or they're having suspicious symptoms, by all means, take supplements. But otherwise I think it's silly. Usually a B12 deficiency is indicative of some other imbalance, and supplementation is a bandaid rather than addressing an unhealthy body and lifestyle.

Obviously all of the above is just my opinion, but I think Mcdougall's article is fairly supportive of my view.

You're 71 years old. Assuming you continue following a healthy lifestyle, the chances of you ever needing further B12 supplementation are minuscule. Test your B12 level again at age 90 and I bet it will be well within the normal range.
Jeremiah

Postby ceci » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:54 pm

Thank you so much for your kind reply, Jeremiah. This is much appreciated!

What struck me in your reply was this:

The B12 issue is so, so overhyped. There's really no reason you should ever even think about your B12 level ever again. Do meat eaters think about it?

I haven't even thought about this and it made me smile! You are right! And, meat eaters never feel the need to get tested and wouldn't have a clue how much B12 their bodies absorbs from a junk of flesh. It is indeed crazy that the anti-vegans have succeeded in making vegans obsess about this.

Next time a well-meaning carnivore friend will remind me of not getting enough B12 I will tell them your answer and will add this to my answer when they worry about my 'protein deficiency': You could eat a whole cow; If you don't exercise your muscles you won't get any muscles.
ceci

Postby pundit999 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:30 am

I am sorry but it is very important to ensure you have good B-12 levels.
Low B-12 levels may not be caused by the plant based diet but a low B-12 causes a lot of problems, some of them PERMANENT.

A friend recently had severe problem in the neck disks. Her B-12 was very low. After supplementation, it is much better.

Look at Dr Greger's website to find out what low B-12 can do. It is scary.

I'd say discontinue the B-12 but do get it measured every year. And start taking the supplement if its starts getting too low.
pundit999

Postby Vegankit » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:29 pm

pundit999 wrote:I am sorry but it is very important to ensure you have good B-12 levels.
Low B-12 levels may not be caused by the plant based diet but a low B-12 causes a lot of problems, some of them PERMANENT.

A friend recently had severe problem in the neck disks. Her B-12 was very low. After supplementation, it is much better.

Look at Dr Greger's website to find out what low B-12 can do. It is scary.

I'd say discontinue the B-12 but do get it measured every year. And start taking the supplement if its starts getting too low.

Pundit999 is right. Having sufficient B-12 levels is critical to good health and shouldn’t be brushed off carelessly. A small number of people have died from lack of B-12.

Before changing my diet to eat this way, I was a heavy meat eater and took vitamins yet I was unaware my body wasn’t absorbing B-12 and my level dropped precipitously low. I have permanent neurological damage and I’m lucky my neurologist caught it in time so I was able to reverse most of the damage.

I have to take megadoses of B-12 to keep my levels up and I get blood work done annually to check my level is good. I am abnormal, most people don’t have this problem and it seems you don’t.

Given your high level, a good plan is to stop taking supplements and check annually. Reassess each year.

BTW people assume you get anemia with low B-12, but if you have a good intake of folate from veggies your B-12 can drop dangerously low and you won’t suffer anemia.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby ceci » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:15 am

Thank you, vegankit and pundit999 for your replies.

Yes, I agree, absorption issues may become a problem, also in carnivores. This may affect older people especially. Recently, I told my vegetarian daughter, who is 8 months pregnant, to get her B12 checked, which she did. She rarely took B12 supplements, yet her B12 is fine and so is folic acid, despite not having taken folic acid supplements. Though, her iron levels were low and she is getting an infusion. I shall have a look at Dr Greger's website. Thank you!
ceci

Postby Drew_ab » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:50 am

It should probably be mentioned that urine MMA is a much better indicator of B-12 status than a conventional test. I would get that test completed before arriving at any conclusion as you can have a normal B-12 score but actually be deficient (given your regular supplementation, this is unlikely but not impossible). Jeff is not opposed to urine MMA + homocysteine amongst other blood tests:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=34769&p=352306#p352306
Drew_ab

Postby ceci » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:30 am

Drew_ab wrote:It should probably be mentioned that urine MMA is a much better indicator of B-12 status than a conventional test. I would get that test completed before arriving at any conclusion as you can have a normal B-12 score but actually be deficient (given your regular supplementation, this is unlikely but not impossible). Jeff is not opposed to urine MMA + homocysteine amongst other blood tests: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=34769&p=352306#p352306

Thank you! I've read 'somewhere' about other tests but didn't remember what it was. I may give it a try asking my doctor next time I see him which, thankfully, is not very often. Though, he already has problems with a completely plant-based diet (must be the only patient like this). I hope it won't stretch him too much if I ask for a urine MMA test :)
ceci

Return to Health Issues