Risk Reduction?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Risk Reduction?

Postby frowsyowl » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:29 am

Hi Jeff,

I was reading the thread about Metabolically "Healthy" Obesity, and had a side question. I have often heard about ex-smokers having reduced their risk to that of normal smokers after a certain period of time. What would you guess the time period would be for ex-obese returning to normal risk factors for cardiovascular and/or cancer risk. Assuming it happens similarly? Just curious.

I wasn't sure how to search for this specific topic. I'm sorry if you've covered this already.

Thanks for all you do.

Jennifer
frowsyowl

Re: Risk Reduction?

Postby JeffN » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:42 am

frowsyowl wrote:Hi Jeff,

I was reading the thread about Metabolically "Healthy" Obesity, and had a side question. I have often heard about ex-smokers having reduced their risk to that of normal smokers after a certain period of time. What would you guess the time period would be for ex-obese returning to normal risk factors for cardiovascular and/or cancer risk. Assuming it happens similarly? Just curious.

I would agree as long as the path to a healthy weight was done through a healthy lifestyle and diet,. BMI is an outcome and what matters is the behaviors (diet and lifestyle) that produce the outcome.

frowsyowl wrote:I wasn't sure how to search for this specific topic. I'm sorry if you've covered this already.

I think it may be discussed in the BMI thread

frowsyowl wrote:Thanks for all you do.

Thanks

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD