Guidelines for MWL on site vs book

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Guidelines for MWL on site vs book

Postby Zena » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:07 am

Hi Jeff,

I’m wondering about something listed on this link from the website and trying to figure out if it still jives with the recommendations in the Maximum Weight Loss book or if there are new recommendations. https://www.drmcdougall.com/2019/05/15/ ... d-recipes/

The first item states: “Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.”
The last sentence of the second item states: “Choose fruit for dessert.”

But in the MWL book, Dr. McDougall recommends 1-2 servings of fruit per day. So would this mean that the 1-2 fruits a day may be consumed either at the beginning of a meal or as dessert? Or has the recommendation changed and is now more fruit is permissible on MWL? Because some people are interpreting this as meaning fruit 4 x a day, which seems like the regular SS plan.

Thanks for any light you can shed for me!
Zena
Zena

Re: Guidelines for MWL on site vs book

Postby JeffN » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:33 am

Zena wrote:Hi Jeff,

I’m wondering about something listed on this link from the website and trying to figure out if it still jives with the recommendations in the Maximum Weight Loss book or if there are new recommendations. https://www.drmcdougall.com/2019/05/15/ ... d-recipes/

The first item states: “Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.”
The last sentence of the second item states: “Choose fruit for dessert.”

But in the MWL book, Dr. McDougall recommends 1-2 servings of fruit per day. So would this mean that the 1-2 fruits a day may be consumed either at the beginning of a meal or as dessert? Or has the recommendation changed and is now more fruit is permissible on MWL? Because some people are interpreting this as meaning fruit 4 x a day, which seems like the regular SS plan.

Thanks for any light you can shed for me!
Zena

Howdy!

Remember, Dr McDougall has always insisted he has the right to change his mind. He is always learning.

I would recommend you read this post, and the one right below it

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620&p=578019#p569991

The MWL guidelines are guidelines, not black and white rules and are based on the principles of calorie density, satiety, fiber/kcal, food form, chewing, etc. etc. The more you do, the more you can benefit.

Starting meals with a soup, salad and/or fruit, helps to lower the overall calorie density of the meal and increase the overall satiety. This helps to decrease the overall caloric intake without giving up any weight or volume of food, which usually increase. Hence the saying, eat more, weigh less. Eat more food in volume/weight while eating less calories. Some will start with huge salads and/or soups, some will have small ones. Some have both, some have none. It is a guideline but all based on the science of pre-loading. Fruit is included because it works better for breakfast for many. However, many people like “savory” breakfast and have oatmeal with vegetables.

While using these as a pre-load work, they also work as part of the meal (50/50 plate) which is based on the science of dilution.Some may end up needing to do both to hit their goals, same may need to do one or the other.

Fruit for dessert is also a guideline not a rule. Dessert is not served everyday at the 10-Day, and when it is, it is fruit. The limit of 2 servings of fruit is based on Dr McDougall’s personal experience and, like the limit on beans, is just a weekly average. His main concern with fruit in regard to weight is that he says he sees participants “binging” on fruit.

For the record, there is also unlimited fruit (and unlimited McDougal bean soups) served at the 10-Day program in the snack room for the participants to choose from.

Here is some more on this...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=60465&p=611333&#p611333

I am less worried with some of the individual variances in the application of these guidelines, then I am with the absolute statements being made about calorie density, certain numbers and the interpretations and understanding (or lack of) of the science. I recently updated this thread with a comment on all this, including quoting the leading researcher in the field.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52756

Let me know if that all makes sense to you and/or if you have any other questions.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Guidelines for MWL on site vs book

Postby Zena » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:28 pm

Thank you, Jeff! As always, your information is most thorough and helpful.
Zena

Return to Jeff Novick, RD