Golden Gravy

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Golden Gravy

Postby Sherr61 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:02 am

Hi Jeff,
My question is about golden gravy. I read Dr. McDougall's book years ago and recall finding his golden gravy recipe which is awesome! However in light of the maximum weight-loss group and my understanding about fats and calorie density and as I recall the recipe was made with tahini, lots of soy sauce, brown rice flour, nutritional yeast… And so I was curious about that. It's one of those things that can easily be over done like by the cup full! LOL do you have an updated version? That is compliant?
Sherr61

Re: Golden Gravy

Postby JeffN » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:06 am

I basically use my SNAP recipes and that's about it so I may not be the best recipe resource.

I think it would be best if you post this in the recipe section and/or check the recipe section of the main website.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:16 am

I took a quick look at the recipes at the main site and found this one. Just substitute white beans for the cashews and I think it will work

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... room-Gravy

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Sherr61 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:05 am

JeffN wrote:I basically use my SNAP recipes and that's about it so I may not be the best recipe resource.

I think it would be best if you post this in the recipe section and/or check the recipe section of the main website.

In Health
Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Thank you for the recipe substituting white beans for the cashews. I recently, before I joined the group found an awesome recipe for a chipotle Aoli, using cashews and it was amazing. That said I have heard about substituting white beans for cashews, but Haven't tried it yet. Now I will. I don't want to eat all that many nuts or any actually. So thank you for that. I also use your SNAP recipe because I like Simple food that is quick to prepare. And then I eat them for days on end; since I'm by myself a recipe makes a large batch for the most part.
One other question that's been on my mind which maybe you can help me with since you replied earlier in the thread to me on the MWL group is about sodium. And I looked at the link you sent me but I'm not clear about the ratio of sodium to calories and fat. If you could give me the math that would be great! I have some salsa and things I bought before that are unopened that I would like to use up and would like to know how the sodium relates to the calories etc. Thank you!
Sherr61

Postby JeffN » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:53 am

Sherr61 wrote:One other question that's been on my mind which maybe you can help me with since you replied earlier in the thread to me on the MWL group is about sodium. And I looked at the link you sent me but I'm not clear about the ratio of sodium to calories and fat. If you could give me the math that would be great! I have some salsa and things I bought before that are unopened that I would like to use up and would like to know how the sodium relates to the calories etc. Thank you!

Sorry I missed this..

The basic sodium guidelines is first, to buy and prepare as much as you can without added salt and then you can sprinkle it on at the table to taste.

In regard to packaged products, check the amount of calories, then check the sodium (in mg). The goal is for the sodium to be equal to or less than the calories. So, if something has 150 calories, the sodium should be equal to to or less than 150.

For condiments, they sodium can be a little higher, maybe 4:1 to the calories but remember to use it as a condiment. Salsa is usually a condiment.

The math for fat is different. Let me know if you want that too

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Sherr61 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:08 am

Hi Jeff,
Thank you for the information. The fat info would be good too. At this point I do make most of all my food and add sodium at the end. I don't use a lot of salt but I do like it and I don't have any issues with hypertension or anything like that. In fact I have low blood pressure. I usually have to ask anyone who does my blood pressure to search for it on the low end. LOL
But I understand it does cause water retention so I keep it to a minimum. I only have a couple things left in my freezer to finish up and one of those things which I ate last week was my beyond meat sausage links. I only ate one but when I read the label I was shocked to see that one link had 15 g of fat! I've been doing really good at not having any fat when I cook at home. Eating out is much more problematic. And I limit that to one day a week. So anyway thank you for the information very much.
Sherr61

Postby JeffN » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:12 am

Sherr61 wrote: I don't use a lot of salt but I do like it and I don't have any issues with hypertension or anything like that. In fact I have low blood pressure. I usually have to ask anyone who does my blood pressure to search for it on the low end. LOL
But I understand it does cause water retention so I keep it to a minimum.

It sounds like you are really doing great.

Just as an FYI, I also have low blood pressure (and resting heart rate) as does my wife. My BP could be 85-90/55-60 at rest and my RHR in the very low 40’s. I avoid salt and she limits it. The reason is, salt impacts many more things than just edema or blood pressure. The impact of edema is usually stable (you gain so much water and that’s it). However, salt also increase your risk for angina, stomach cancer, osteoporosis, arteriosclerosis (which is the slow insidious hardening of the arteries over time), endothelium dysfunction, impaired immune function, stroke, diabetes, FMD, etc.. You can read more about it here

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23557

Sherr61 wrote: I only have a couple things left in my freezer to finish up and one of those things which I ate last week was my beyond meat sausage links. I only ate one but when I read the label I was shocked to see that one link had 15 g of fat! I've been doing really good at not having any fat when I cook at home.

Sounds like a plan.

Sherr61 wrote: Eating out is much more problematic. And I limit that to one day a week.

Great!

Sherr61 wrote: So anyway thank you for the information very much.

On fat....

The McDougall diet is about 8-15% fat on average depending on how much richer foods you include. Packaged products should be limited so i give a little lee-way on the percent fat. Up to 20% but just on packaged products.

I explain the math here, including the old label (which is phasing out) and the new label (which is phasing in)

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52156

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD