Emergency, Thermos & Microwaving cooking Dehydrated foods

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Emergency, Thermos & Microwaving cooking Dehydrated foods

Postby REWohsnus » Wed May 20, 2020 9:23 am

Hi Jeff,

I was looking for a link(s) to your emergency food and/or thermos cooking threads and must have missed it in the stickies above. Can you share the link(s)?

Also I was wondering if you have any tips in food preparation for cooking dehydrated foods in the microwave?

In appreciation,

EM
REWohsnus

Re: Emergency, Thermos & Microwaving cooking Dehydrated food

Postby JeffN » Wed May 20, 2020 10:20 am

Thanks.

REWohsnus wrote: Hi Jeff,

I was looking for a link(s) to your emergency food and/or thermos cooking threads and must have missed it in the stickies above. Can you share the link(s)?

This is one of the links. The others are listed in this post

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56448&p=569677&#p569951

REWohsnus wrote: Also I was wondering if you have any tips in food preparation for cooking dehydrated foods in the microwave?

Do you mean to rehydrate them or to cook them after rehydrating them?

I can only share what I have done. I rehydrate according to the directions from where i get them. I may use a little more longer or simmer them a little longer as I like them well rehydrated.

To cook, after rehydrated, i use them as I would normally use fresh/frozen veggies. Of course, most of my meals are still basically the same as my fast food meals, starch, beans, veggies, liquid, spice

:)

I hope that helps
Jeff
JeffN

Postby REWohsnus » Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am

Jeff,

Thank you for the links! "Do you mean to rehydrate them or to cook them after rehydrating them?" with respect to my question:
"I was wondering if you have any tips in food preparation for cooking dehydrated foods in the microwave?"

I meant rehydrating them and cooking them at the same time. Or, maybe that is the ticket thinking of rehydrating them first and then cooking them. The directions I've received do not include microwave cooking which I think is vastly different that stove top cooking.

EM
REWohsnus

Postby JeffN » Wed May 20, 2020 12:01 pm

REWohsnus wrote:Jeff,

Thank you for the links! "Do you mean to rehydrate them or to cook them after rehydrating them?" with respect to my question:
"I was wondering if you have any tips in food preparation for cooking dehydrated foods in the microwave?"

I meant rehydrating them and cooking them at the same time. Or, maybe that is the ticket thinking of rehydrating them first and then cooking them. The directions I've received do not include microwave cooking which I think is vastly different that stove top cooking.

EM

Microwaving is probably not the best for rehydration, though I have never tried it.

If it was a dish like a soup heated on the stove, and you added water as need, you could do both at once.

Who did you buy them from?

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby REWohsnus » Wed May 20, 2020 4:53 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jeff!

I'm giving it all a retry - ON THE STOVE!!! So far the results are much better, though I too like them better with more hydration. I will try them again using the microwave, but I will prehydrate in cold water first.

I purchased them through Harmony House.

Best,
EM
REWohsnus

Postby JeffN » Wed May 20, 2020 5:04 pm

REWohsnus wrote:Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jeff!

I'm giving it all a retry - ON THE STOVE!!! So far the results are much better, though I too like them better with more hydration. I will try them again using the microwave, but I will prehydrate in cold water first.

I purchased them through Harmony House.

Best,
EM

This rehydration chart should have come in your order

https://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/asset ... _chart.pdf

I often use more water and more time.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby REWohsnus » Wed May 20, 2020 5:08 pm

Jeff,

Yes, I did get the rehydration chart. However it didn't address the odd happenings in my kitchen with respect to the microwave oven.

Many thanks!

EM
REWohsnus

Return to Jeff Novick, RD