C diff and probiotics

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

C diff and probiotics

Postby mollypandora » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:46 am

HI Jeff,

My dad has followed Dr. McDougalls program for over 15 years. He is highly compliant and wiling to do whatever it takes to do so. In fact, he and my mom once travelled with Dr. McDougall and Mary to Costa Rica when the group was only around 18 people! He truly feels you and Dr. McDougall have kept him alive following near-fatal heart attack.

He recently had a fall, probably from a UTI, which lead to many medical issues, including septic shock. About 30 days ago, when moved to a rehab facility they found C diff, and treated it with Vancocin. He has had trouble maintaining his vegan diet there because he is dependent on what they serve him.

Now he has it again (or it never cleared up) and he is on a longer course of the same antibiotic. He will be released in about a week and can better control his diet.

I've read the previous postings about prebiotics and probiotics and it seems in general, a healthy diet should eliminate the need for supplements. However, it seems that in some cases supplementing is a good idea. I'm wondering if this is one of those cases. He would prefer to do it though the addition of healthy foods though.

Can you please advise on anything he should add to his diet, and if this is an appropriate use of probiotics. Thank you so much.
mollypandora

Re: C diff and probiotics

Postby JeffN » Wed May 20, 2020 10:28 am

mollypandora wrote:HI Jeff,I've read the previous postings about prebiotics and probiotics and it seems in general, a healthy diet should eliminate the need for supplements. However, it seems that in some cases supplementing is a good idea.

While I understand people may say that, I do not believe that was said in my thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52144

I would recommend reviewing it

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD