Is there a salt study about form and levels

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is there a salt study about form and levels

Postby Branson » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:15 am

Dear Jeff,

I wonder if anyone has done a study to see which salt you use ends up being lower sodium?

Specifically, Kosher salt, which I love vs other tiny granuals of shaker salt be it himalayan, morton, super virgin tiny diamond special magic salt...

I wonder if I am using a ton of sodium using Kosher on my plate vs if I were to use tiny grain salt? Does it matter by taste recepters? Do folks end using the same amount of sodium no matter which?

If there is no study, what would be your guess?
Branson

Re: Is there a salt study about form and levels

Postby JeffN » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:26 am

Branson wrote:Dear Jeff,

I wonder if anyone has done a study to see which salt you use ends up being lower sodium?

Specifically, Kosher salt, which I love vs other tiny granuals of shaker salt be it himalayan, morton, super virgin tiny diamond special magic salt...

I wonder if I am using a ton of sodium using Kosher on my plate vs if I were to use tiny grain salt? Does it matter by taste recepters? Do folks end using the same amount of sodium no matter which?

If there is no study, what would be your guess?

Yes, various forms of sodium and salt have been used.

In regards to salt, what matters is total sodium contributed as they are all the same molecule.

Varying forms of sodium (monosodium glutamate, sodium chloride, etc) have also been looked at. Sodium chloride has the biggest impact with MSG having less of an impact. Because of this, some use MSG as it is a flavor enhancer and you get more flavor, less sodium.

Read this thread and the links

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5787

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Branson » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:35 am

Thank you Jeff!

Im going to read it now.

But I wanted to also add popcorn salt (powdered salt) if that matters. Ok, I go read now.

(later that day)

Your link was most unexpected! And then Kennys article. Did not see that coming. Im up for an experiement on myself, cuz gosh I loooove salt added to my food. I betcha anything I can outsalt most of ya. So since I can buy msg at Walmart, Im going to do that today and see how I like that for the coming month! Give it a go.

Being 56+ osteo is a concern if high salt contributes to that and msg does not it is worth a shot.
Last edited by Branson on Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Branson

Postby JeffN » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:48 am

Branson wrote:Im going to read it now.

But I wanted to also add popcorn salt (powdered salt) if that matters. Ok, I go read now.

Popcorn salt is sodium chloride with a fine grind (And sometimes other seasonings/flavors).

Again, the total sodium chloride (salt) matters, not the grind. The impact on you will be based on the total sodium chloride consumed.

If you use less sodium because of it, then you have less sodium chloride and the impact will be less. However, some of these “seasonings/flavors” have oils and other chemicals (of which one is related to “popcorn lung”)

https://www.lung.org/about-us/blog/2016 ... ecigs.html

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD