McDougall position on a "little oil"

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

McDougall position on a "little oil"

Postby Hansen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 am

Hi Jeff, Going back to ~2003 in the Newsletter, Dr. McDougall cites two situation where a "little oil" is permissible i.e., eating out and his recommended food list. Then, in a discussion of the Mediterranean diet in another article, he references 1/2 cup of oil being added to a dish and a diet with more than 30% fat and 50% of that from oil, as reasons he has issues with the Med diet. Obviously, the Med diet as represented is not a "little bit of oil." That is a lot of oil. He also, as I have seen, ignores the Adventist Health Study which indicates that a certain amount of nuts is good and that no nuts is not good. I wonder if you could clarify his/your current position on nuts in the Adventist Health Study and the expression "a little oil. If acceptable, I'd also like to share your response in a discussion group on FB.
Hansen

Return to Jeff Novick, RD